Wow, Preview.app got a lot better...

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
I'm totally impressed with the 10.2 upgrade. Not only did the OS get a ton of great features added to it, most of the preinstalled applications were updated as well.

Now when you open a bunch of pictures in preview, it thumbnails them for you instead of opening 100 windows.

TextEdit has grown up too.

MIDI sound setup, Directory Access, ODBC Administrator are all great additions.

Everytime I actually get a chance to use my mac, I find a new cool feature. They're like easter eggs in this release :)

[but man, iChat needs to be redesigned. Apple needs to copy Adium]

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I think the thumbnail window is a neat idea... which absolutely does not work for me.

The fact that no preference exists for disabling it, is horrible IMO.

Do this experiement...

select 2 files in Finder and "Open"... they go in one thumbnail "drawer".... how do you close just one of those 2 files?? (I could not close one without closing the other)

Now dbl-click another file in Finder... it opens a 2nd Preview window (why not add it to the existing thumbnail drawer??)

Talk about inconsistency!

Make the new thumbnail thing optional, and I fully agree.. major step forward. Until then I've reinstalled Preview 1.1. I need to be able to quickly open 20 snapshots, and rotate thru them, keeping the ones that turned out, and being able to compare pic A to pic B. I cannot figure out how to do this efficiently with P 2.0.

Mike

It is very consistent.

It opens the groups of files that you open in the thumbnail drawer. So if you highlight 5 files and open them, those five will go in the same window. If you highlight 10 more and open those, they will go into another window / drawer.

If you don't want the thumbnail drawer, just close it. If you want to flip between pictures, use the up and down arrows.

I like it, kind of. although it is slower at rendering the smooth font in PDFs. personally, I liked the old one better.

Back