WoW Questions

mw84

Registered
Hey, I want to go and buy World Of Warcraft later today and wondered if before I do someone could answer a couple of questions for me. First is there a seperate copy for macs? or are the mac and pc versions all in one box like Diablo? I'm only asking because I've looked on the place I'm buying it from and it's under PC DVD or CD whichever it is (I cant remember). Second, can someone tell me in uk pounds how much the payments are to play online?

The retail copies contain both Mac and PC executables. Blizzard is one of those companies who actively support Mac development, and that makes them very very cool :).

It costs £8.99 per month to play (first month free) if you sign up for a monthly subscription. That price goes down to about £6.80 if you buy 6 months worth of game play in one go.

Definitely worth playing, especially on PVP servers. Stay clear away from Normal and RP servers as they get very boring very quickly. I've played on PVP servers since Feb and have no sign of getting bored :).

Thanks Viro I've just been and bought it now. I got a card inside that says first 10 days free but the box says first month free. Do I get the free month after the free 10days?.

EDIT: Nevermind I just realised it's a 10 day guest pass for a friend ! duh :rolleyes:

EDIT EDIT: How amazing is that intro video? Very. :confused:

SO what would players say are realistic specs for the game? My gf has the latest g4 15" powerbook. I only have a g3 iBook so that's that out of the question!

I can't believe I'm considering whacking out for a new Mac just to play this.

And also how long do you think the game will be supported for? A couple of years? More?

Well, it runs perfectly on my emac (in my sig.) so obviously you don't need that high a spec. :) I do meet all the minimum requirements though. They recommend a 64mb graphics card but I've noticed no lag or anything like that at all on my 32.

A decent G4 should be fine. It will get better once they optimize it further. PC people seem to be getting higher frame rates than us Mac people.

But the game is ridiculously fun on my 12" Powerbook with a 1.33 GHz processor and a rubbish GeForce fx5200 Go...

Viro said:
A decent G4 should be fine. It will get better once they optimize it further. PC people seem to be getting higher frame rates than us Mac people.

But the game is ridiculously fun on my 12" Powerbook with a 1.33 GHz processor and a rubbish GeForce fx5200 Go...

Groovy... at the moment I'm about to buy it and install it on my girlfriend's 15" G4 Powerbook as my old G3 iBook won't cope...

Question - do you HAVE to install to the built-in harddrive or can I install to my 160GB external Lacie firewire drive? (my gf has the space, but I din't think she'd appreciate the game being on her machine really...)

Cheers,
Owen

I think that should be fine. I've never tried it, but WoW is quite lax about such things, since you need an account to play, they aren't too worried about piracy :) You can run it even without the CD being in the drive.

Okey dokey... Right well the game is on her machine now. However, I have to wait until a 178 (yes, that's ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY EIGHT!) megabyte download completes to play it...

Next question: is it possible to just copy the WoW folder from her machine to my external hard drive and then delete the copy on her machine and use it to run the copy on the hard drive?

Or do I need to install onto the hard drive itself? And then re-download the update?

Copying the installed folder to your computer should work just fine. After every major patch I typically create a drag and drop copy of the game on a DVD. However, the installed game is getting closer to a full single layer DVD so I may have to start using a dual layer DVD.

Nice one.

Only 83 MB to go. Won't be playing this game till 10pm, 3 hours after I started installing it...

Back