WYSE 50 terminal connection

davstein

Registered
I need to hook up to a database that uses WYSE 50 or VT220 with Function keys. Is there anything for Mac OS X out there that can do this?

Thanks

d.

Is this for AS400, OS/390 or SNA connections using the 5250 or 3270 data streams?
If so, I think OSX clients are lacking at the moment.
Keep a watch out for the company Cel Corp (www.celview.com) making something, but don't hold your breath.

I wish I knew. We connect over the internet to our database via a terminal (on the PC) by Appgen called Power Windows. It's set vot vt220 and set to work over TCP/IP. That's about all the info I have. It also hooks to port 5555, if that is standard for anything.

Maybe I should go with a classic app -- is there a good terminal for Classic that could do VT220 or WYSE 50?

Thanks for the quick reply.

d.

the standard termcap file /usr/share/misc/termcap has a number
of wyse entries, including 'w50' for a Wyse50. So, that *should* work
via a 'setenv TERM w50'

(THANKS!!!)

OK -- now to try to understand the man file. I have to connect over TCP/IP, but don't have a clue....:-(

d.

I checked out Appgen PowerWindows for you davstein. What I can gather is the client can be any standard terminal or emulator. There's also mention of the use of telnetd on the server side which I picked off the install pdf's. What howarddm4 pointed out with termcap (that's a file to digest) suggests Terminal.app can handle such a task. It would be worth it to give the default telnet a whirl and see what kind of output you get.

[manualsaregood:~] %telnet 10.0.0.10:5555

I think zterm had a pull down menu with tons of function keys on it. You may find similar attributes in MacSSH (http://www.macssh.org I think)

The other option, and this is the fun and interesting one (one I did) is to hook an actuall WISE-compatable serial port terminal to your macintosh. seriously. You can do this with any mac with built in serial ports and Mac OS X, or I think a usb-to-serial adaptor.

the serial term will run login, much like the typical unix box's text login. You can do anything you can do from a normal terminal on this terminal. And, if you set this up right, all those funny keys will be mapped correctly.

If you want to know how to do this (and i don't blame you if you don't - a serial port terminal next to a QuickSilver g4 can generate quite an eye-sore to many people), just say so and I'll post a how-to.

Back