X.3 Panther & G5?

I was looking at the G5 page, and it currently still reads that it ships with a specially tuned version of X.2 (Jaguar). Is this still the case, or as the page simply not been updated? I remember a while ago, it was claimed that Panther was going to be a 64-bit OS, or at least have a 64-bit version... what ever happened to these claims? I'm not going to buy a G5 until it actually ships with an OS that can take advantage of it's architecture-- otherwise, they'll probably ask for another $129 or something. ::Sulks::

thisbechuck said:
I was looking at the G5 page, and it currently still reads that it ships with a specially tuned version of X.2 (Jaguar). Is this still the case, or as the page simply not been updated? I remember a while ago, it was claimed that Panther was going to be a 64-bit OS, or at least have a 64-bit version... what ever happened to these claims? I'm not going to buy a G5 until it actually ships with an OS that can take advantage of it's architecture-- otherwise, they'll probably ask for another $129 or something. ::Sulks::

It's not updated, obviously.
Although all of the OS itself isn't coded for 64 bit, other apps can take advantage of the G5's 64 but architecture. Photoshop, for example, had the G5 plugin ready the day the first G5s shipped. Architecture conversion isn't an easy thing, so of course it'll take some time before the OS and all the apps get optimized.

The new iBook and eMac pages I know say Panther (they did days before 10/24 as well, obviously because they weren't going to include 10.2.8 36 hours before 10.3), but the PowerMac, iMac, and PowerBook pages still say 10.2, and my bet is they haven't updated it yet with Panther being the big deal. I bet by Monday it will all be taken care of. (If you order one of the "still says 10.2 Macs", you still get 10.3 anyway.)

Back