X (as in Unix)

nkuvu

Gone
What I want to do is run Gimp. But I have no idea how to get started. I've heard of Fink, which I am in the process of downloading. I even understand what it does. :) Do I need OroborOSX? Or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Fink is great. You need to get the X Window system (look under X11, I think, in the package database) and I personally recommend the rootless version and OroborOSX. If you want to do this, don't get a window manager using Fink, just the "base" X11 package, and then get OroborOSX - it comes in a more familiar OS X format. I don't know the website but a Google search finds it easily enough.

Good luck!

-the valrus

Sounds like you are on the right track. installing from fink is more intimidating but worth it in the long run. The other option is the graphical method which you can download from the macgimp website but that never worked for me. Plus they have all sorts of precautions about installing Xwindows after having installed Gimp in this way. Once you do have gimp running you will want to try other stuff from fink so keep your options open.

If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask them :) thats how I got where I am today.

I downloaded MacGIMP from the MacGIMP webpage and installed. But to run it I needed to update XDarwin. That was no problem. I've never used Fink, so I wouldn't know if it's easier.
Doing this you can run MacGIMP with the (horrible) GUI in XDarwin. Downloading OroborOSX gives you a better interface.

Kris

The latest release of OroborOSX includes XFree86, giving you an all-in-one installation of XWindows and the OroborOSX window manager. But Fink is still the easiest way I have found to install the GIMP.
Once you have Fink installed and configured (IIRC, just add a new source line to .cshrc), you can get it to download and install GIMP automatically (well, almost ;)).

Back