X blues...

pharme

Registered
X in blues so am I...

My Titanium, G4 400Mhz, 512 Mb ram with Jag 10.2.4, 30Gb on 3 partitions, Classic, Jaguar and a Scratch Disk, is experiencing some weird symptons, namely, computer slows down and to a freeze, this occurs when a series of 'ticking' sound that comes out beneath my keyboard. Have done /sbin/fsck -y in single user mode, it reflected okay. Disk Utility with install disk says ok. Runs Techtool and repaired fine. At times, it fails to boot up smoothly, it freezes even before the logging window appears. Spoke to the apple staffs over the phone, claimed that the ticking sound is not common and may well be not related to the problem stated above, but I think otherwise, coz it happens only when the sound comes in. No intensive multitasking works were done. Anyone with such experience can help me out with some advices to rectify this constant freezing... I am tired of force restarting 3 to 4 times in a day.... I am confused...

thanks tho

pharme:confused:

Does it happen in Classic as well? If it does, it may be a hardware problem. If not, it's something that's gone wrong with X.

The "ticking" bug was something that occurred in some early, and I mean EARLY, versions of Mac OS X. It should not be occurring under 10.2.4. I suspect your install of Mac OS X may have been corrupted somehow.

That ticking sounds like a dying HD...I would run a SMART utility on it to check it's remaining life, and backup data ASAP.

Gee, thanks for the quick replies, since then, i did reinstall of Jag on the respective partition, perhaps , i should really do a clean install. How do I check on the validity of my HD, what's a SMART uitliity, I have used Techtool and Disk Utility, both reflected okay.... any other recommendations?
ALso, last nite working late on this problem, failed to reboot, tried with Jag Installer and was shocked to find the Disk Utility on the CD failed to track any HD, it was just the DVD drive and the OS Installer, my HD is gone, and this morning, it came back, and I am operating as usual and typing really fast to avoid another crash...

pharme

LOL, better hurry...

I actually meant you should reinstall 9, as that IS Classic and may be the source of your problems, and X is really a hassle to reintegrate with your old profile.

But if it's working now, then that much the sweeter.

Yes, back up AMASAYC (As Much As Soon As You Can) and wipe the drive. Think andromeda-strain clean. You should see a fine white powder where any body hair used to be. These are the same symptoms I have seen with my IBM drives and after initializing, everything gets better. If that doesn't work let us know! (ITDWLUK)

There have been many reports of battery trouble with Apple portables after upgrading to 10.2.4.
It shows on the screen as well, normally. Other than that, yeah, sounds like the harddrive...

Back