X boots... sort of.

boi

official breaker of macs.
It'll boot- but once it gets to the part where the desktop is supposed to show up and there are icons and a dock and all of those happy sort of things... nothing happens.
just... blue.
oh, and a curser. it changes resolutions to my preference resolution as well. it switches back and forth between my gamma settings and the default gamma settings. it's like it can't open the finder. i booted with the 9 cd and made sure there WAS a finder... there is. right where i left it, too.
any ideas on what i can do? other than this, everything's okay. fsck reports no errors, and disk aid finds nothing, either.

in the mean time- how do i boot into 9.2.2? i forgot ^_^. i've got a paper due in three hours that's on my computer.

thanks in advance!

[ boi ]

hold down option and start up. it will give you the choice (if you have them on separate partitions) otherwise you have to use a 9 cd to boot, and i think you can set the startup device from the startup disk control panel on there.

QP

alrighty- thanks! i managed to get my paper printed... but i still can't boot in X. maybe it's time for a format-- i dunno.

hold command-s as you re booting into OSX, to boot into single user mode. then do this when you get a prompt:
Code:
# mount -uw /
# fsck -y /

repeat the last command until it returns no errors. this might help. also, you might be able to check some error logs while in single user mode to see why OSX won t finish booting. although i m not sure what log files to check.

i am not averse to a reinstall in this scenario

Back