X Windows Server

mala

Registered
Hi,

when I started to use MaxOS X PB I got somehow dissapointed when I realized Apple didn't iclude X Windows Server software. I mean, ANY unix worth the name has it or the possibility to install it. Will it be icluded when the final arrives? Or are there any third parties to make it happen? Even shareware?

TIA

Mans

Well Apache does come with OS X but you need to use the terminal to configure it, no GUI.
If you want server software OS X server has been out in the market now for 2 years. OS X (the non server) is a client OS by nature so the server stuff even though they are, it's not so evident that they exist.

Yes, You're right it's the X Windows server I'm referring to. And I actually found the following options;

At http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/todo.html You can read about the development plans Apple has for X11 implementation in MacOS X. This would, in my own humble opinion, be the preferrable way to do it.
Or, Tenon develops XTools and PowerLan (used to be WhitePine Software) seems do develop eXodus for OS X.
The question I have is; why would anybody develop an X server for OS X if Apple has plans of doing it themselves, like a part of the OS?

/mala

Originally posted by mala
The question I have is; why would anybody develop an X server for OS X if Apple has plans of doing it themselves, like a part of the OS?

You don't completly understand what OSX is. OSX is based on the Darwin Opensource project. Darwin is a BSD variant. Now Apple is building OSX with all the goodies (Aqua, Quicktime, Quartz, Cocoa, etc) on top of Darwin.

Now some people at the Darwin project are porting X Window server to Darwin. It will work under OSX aswell, but you would have to go to the console mode and start up X Window from there. You would then be unable to benefit from all the extra's Apple has included with OSX, but simply have another variant of BSD.

Now Tenon is creating a program that will allow X applications to be opened within the WindowManager of OSX. Therefore you keep all the benefits of OSX and still be able to run X in a seperate window.

DJ

P.S. Sorry for any typo's and misunderstandings on my part. This is a lunchbreak post.

Back