X11 beta version 0.2

I found some good resources:
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html
and the apple x11-user group have been particualarly useful.

I even got the command to set the windows to focus when you mouse over them, so the extra click in gimp is no more.

For now, Im going to keep it for gimp, but its a good point about the text editor. Taco HTMLEdit is quite good, with the exception of handling regular expressions.

Coming from an OS9 environment to OSX literally a few days ago, I wanted to see if I could make a fresh start and build a productive system with free software, and no 'borrowed' serials.

So far, so good. But I may end up just writing my own.

I have Gnumeric 0.76 installed on my Mac through an older OpenOSX.com cd I bought last year -- how can I download the newer version of Gnumeric without having to compile crap on my own? I just want to click and install!

Originally posted by GadgetLover
I have Gnumeric 0.76 installed on my Mac through an older OpenOSX.com cd I bought last year -- how can I download the newer version of Gnumeric without having to compile crap on my own? I just want to click and install!
Is this the right thing?
http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/gnumeric

If so, it looks like you could use Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) to automatically obtain and install it for you. If you don't like using the command line: easy, just use Fink Commander (http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/) on top of Fink to give you a nice GUI!

Hope that works for you.

Have these always been avaliable to MAC? I mean, when did KDE and GNOME go to MAC?? I know that KDE used to run slow on Mandrak 8.0, Not sure bout beta MAC. You guys could probably check out Linux stuff and find out which one works the best. I think I used to use GNOME. This was a year ago so I am not 100% sure.... But I was just wondering....

Originally posted by edX
macko - this should take care of your problem launching openoffice.

Actually that came with the OpenOffice I downloaded. It's all good, I'm actually on my way out the door for class and I'll probably be stopping by the campus computer store to purchase MS Office. Oh the shame! ;)

Remember, X11 isn't just about running applications locally on your computer, DISPLAYs can be sent from an Applications server running on SUN, SGI, IBM, HP, DEC, Linux to the Macintosh X11 server. The reverse is also true a DISPLAy can be sent from a X11 client on a Macintosh to any of the above UNIX boxes. Also if you are sending a DISPLAY to another machine, keyboard control for that appliucation goes with it.

X11 is a very flexible tool

I can think of three reasons why SOME people are interested in XWindows (X11) on a Mac; I am sure the majority of Mac users will not care.

1) it allows people like me who used to use UNIX/X11 workstations to use their familar software with Mac OS X instead of a Linux box.

2) Many important commercial apps, like MATLAB, come in only Windows and UNIX/X11 versions; their makers are far more likely to produce Mac OS X ports if they do not have to rewrite the GUI.

3) Some people, believe it or not, would rather not pay $700 for Photoshop or even $100 for Photoshop Elements if GIMP does what they need for free; ditto for lots of other good free UNIX/X11 software; check out the fink system for installing UNIX software ported for Mac OS X at fink.sourceforge.net

Anyone able to give me some screenshots of X11 on OSX? I'm purchasing a 17" powerbook in the next few days and not quite comprehending the X11 + apple's GUI thing. Preferably screenshots of open office, gaim, etc.

To all the doubters.... maybe you don't need X11. Fankly the major advantage is the remote capabilities others have mentioned. We can use X11 to log into my wife's Linux box 150 miles away and run whatever we need to off of her computer at school. I think that's X11's killer ap as it were.

That being said I also use X11 daily for just local tasks. I got fed up with mail.app crashing every other message (I think it doesn't do IMAP very well or something) and am happily using kmail for my daily email needs. I also use the GIMP, as I am not a graphic artist by trade and so can't justify paying for Photoshop. The GIMP is a fantastic program, and can do everything I need it to. I guess if there's a killer ap in the traditional sense for X11 this is it. That would probably be the one to get if you just want something to fiddle with. X11 + fink is a lovely combination for free software. As an aside, save yourself some time and learn the syntax of apt-get, as this allows you to download binaries instead of compiling everything, which can be very time consuming.

OpenOffice worked first time with X11, as long as you set the Window manager to use in OpenOffice Startup.

OpenOffice is so much more advanced than StarOffice 5.2 that it feels like another product.

Reading/Writting MS stuff was transparent, Excel Spreadhsheets, Worksheets and complex mathematical formulas with refeneces between worksheets also transparent.

I have SUN and Linux machines at home and can set DISPLAY to the Mac, this means that applications that run on SUN on Linux only at this time DISPLAy without problems.

Xephem is a good test application to try X11 out.

Back