X11 help: urgent

tobes

Registered
Hey guys,
My thesis is due in less than 30 hours (eep so much to do).

Anyway I keep getting errors when trying to use x11. I can use it fine for a while when I first open it but after say spawning and quitting a few applications (such as viewing my thesis in gv) I get this error message.

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Any ideas? It works fine again if I log out and log back in but that is really annoying to have to do every hour or so.

Tobes

Bugger forgot to update the post here about that. I am running 10.2.8 with x11 beta 3. I will upgrade to panther etc AT (That is after I hand in my thesis)

tobes

It just sounds like something is killing (or partially killing) X11, which I was just thinking *might* be a X11 bug. Could be helpful if you knew what was killing it, at least (you might know how to avoid it). Does anything show up in the console when it dies?

Does it fix itself if you simply quit X11 and restart?

Also keep in mind that by default, X11 doesn't accept connections from processes spawned by root, so if at some point you "su" and start trying to run apps, you'll start getting that error...

That EXACT error, btw. It actually gives you a slightly different one if X11 has crashed, or isn't running... Hmm...

Ripcord said:
It just sounds like something is killing (or partially killing) X11, which I was just thinking *might* be a X11 bug. Could be helpful if you knew what was killing it, at least (you might know how to avoid it). Does anything show up in the console when it dies?

Does it fix itself if you simply quit X11 and restart?

Also keep in mind that by default, X11 doesn't accept connections from processes spawned by root, so if at some point you "su" and start trying to run apps, you'll start getting that error...

I found a work around:

I just have to do sudo xauth merge ~username/.Xauthority

and it works again. Maybe not the best but Ill be trashing my whole system ina week or so to do a fresh install of panther.

tobes

Yep, that's how you'd allow X clients to connect to the X11 server if you run them while logged in/SUed to root =)

What you're describing is perfectly normal, if you were SUing to root immediately prior to things "stopping working"...

Ripcord said:
Yep, that's how you'd allow X clients to connect to the X11 server if you run them while logged in/SUed to root =)

What you're describing is perfectly normal, if you were SUing to root immediately prior to things "stopping working"...

Nope nothing of the sort. Just running LyX and viewing docs in gv or xdvi

tobes

Back