X11 Help

dlloyd

Official Pianist
Okay, here's the deal:
I installed the new Apple X11 Server yesterday, and I have no clue what I need to do to get it to work. I can't find anything on the forum here, and Apple sure isn't providing a lot of help. However...
What I want to do is use The GIMP. I have downloaded and installed Fink (and tried to get the GIMP through it), but I can't get Fink to recognize my X11 installation.
I also want to get the XWindows server running, like some of the screen shots I have seen posted here.
I have never used Linux, and I haven't got any idea how all this stuff works, any help would be gladly accepted!

I guess exactly what I want to know is:
1) How to I get Fink to work with Apple's X11?
2) How do I make GIMP work?
3) How do I get the Windows Manager to work (like the screen shots posted elsewhere here?)

Thanks!

I'm about 1/3 done with my FAQ on getting all this stuff setup, hopefully will be done by the end of tommorow (too much going on today to finish it by tonight). Should be able to allow most normal users to get things working with X11 and be able to use it. I'll be posting it in this forum once it's done.

Brian

I got Fink to work with Apple's X11.

1) install Apple's X11

2) install Apple's X11 SDK (required!)

3) install Fink's system-xfree package (sets xfree dependencies)

That is what I ended up doing, I just didn't know what I needed to do in the beginning!

:D

I've downloaded and am playing with The Gimp and X-Chat (My all-time fav IRC Program! Yay!)... I haven't had to download anything beside X11, and the libraries at http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/darwinports/en/x11.php

What is Fink? And why do I need it?

And, how to I get more X11 apps? Can I use any X11 app, or does it have to be "Ported" like the above link lists some programs for Apple's X11...

BTW, I was watching Phil Shiller's "Best of X" webcast and they had some apps that sounded like they came default with X11 (Xclock, Xeyes, etc.), but I can't seem to find them on my system. Any ideas? :p

As far as I can tell (I am new to this as well!), Fink is where you get all these programs. It seems to be a program which downloads and installs the program and all the nesessary libraries and everything. You have to download and install the package 'system-xfree86' through Fink before it will recognize the Apple X11 server. Also, the Fink project warns that the OpenDarwin Libraries will cause problems with the Fink installation, so watch out!.

Back