X11 not working in panther?

socks

Registered
I've been running panther for about a week. Upgraded my 10.2 install that already had Beta3 of X11 installed.

Currently my X apps run, but do not get decorated (no window frame/title) and are always lowered at 0,0. Makes them useless.

I have read that panther will be shipped with X11 pre-installed, but didn't notice any X11 stuff out of the Beta3 area.

Anyone have X apps working?

socks

Originally posted by Captain Code
I haven't tried it, but there was an option to install X11 with Panther.

Did you do a fresh install or upgrade? Maybe I just missed that option.

socks

It was a fresh install, but you'd think that there'd be an option to install it in an upgrade as well.

Yeah, you have to click the 'Customize' button that appears on the screen after you select a destination for install. one of the check boxes is for X11.

Check /Applications/Utilities, that's where X11 gets installed during the Panther install. Perhaps you have two copies of X11 and that is messing something up somehow.

IF you look on the CD's you will find an X11.pkg file. If you install this it will work. It will end up in /Applications/Utilities.

And it has the version 1.0 without any beta tags, btw... It also still has the old Aqua widgets, so while it sports a new grayish windowtitlebar, it has the old redlight icons with shadows. Quite ugly, but I'm sure THAT's gonna be fixed in a newer build soon. ;-)

(It also boots very, very fast... Wow!)

I wonder if they work with OroborOSX? That is kinda strange that quartz-wm wouldnt' be expose aware (but then I haven't seen panther personally so I wouldn't know what would or wouldn't work.

Has anyone tried the Ports Manager (Darwin Ports) in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder? I couldn't get KDE to install, though quartz-wm in X11 works fine.

Ports Manager doesn't really run here at all... :/ The installer fails at the end...

Back