X11 Questions ;-)

hellodude

Registered
Hi I'm currently a wintel user but may soon convert to OS X. The 17' PowerBook is the candidate. I have a few questions. I have been reading a fair bit that UNIX is incorporated into MAC OS X. Is X11 the UNIX GUI??
Is it possible to choose between the MAC look or the X11 and still be able to run the same software?
What about Linux software on a MAC?
Any thing else that I should consider?
These questions will determine if I will buy a MAC or not. I would be really thankfull for any help. :cool:

X11 is the GUI used for many Unix applications.

Mac OS X uses its own GUI called Aqua, which is based on PostScript, QuickTime and OpenGL.

Mac OS X supports X11 applications, and even allows them to be run on the same desktop, with the same windows and controls. In fact, the only difference is in switching between applications, as X11 apps all get grouped together as one app.

You get the Aqua look for all Mac programs, by default. This can be changed with theming programs, but most users don't bother.

X11 apps get the aqua look using Apple's X11 or Xfree86 combined with OroborosX. You can of course load up X11 themes, if you're using Gnome/GTK, KDE, IceWM, Enlightenment, or a few other window managers are available.

The most common way to get open-source unix (Linux) software on the mac is using a program called "Fink", which automates the process of downloading unix source code and compiling it.

Many of the most popular unix programs are already ported completely, though, and are ready to run even without Fink. Others that aren't listed on Fink you may have to compile for yourself, but this is no different to any other Unix system.

If you are planning on running any specific Unix/Linux software, ask here. There's usually somebody who can tell you how to go about getting the software going.

You might not find all your hardware supported under Mac OS X, particularly obscure/cheap cameras and so on. If this might be a problem, just ask.

Welcome hellodude ;)

Some Unix / Linux software can be installed directly from terminal, so e.g. I didn't bother using other than that when installing Links or Mutt ... but for more complicated software like Bluefish of GIMP it will be a better idea to use Fink.

The Powerbook you are looking for, is really great. Before coming to Macs (that was when OS X existed, so I simply fell in love with the OS ..) I did use Linuxes and liked them but I like OS X even more... I guess the fact of knowing something about Unix (and inux) does help to get more out of OS X. (as some are afraid of using the terminal).

Most cameras have badly indicated whether they work with Macs, but at least all Sonys, Minoltas, Canons etc do. There is a quite complete list of supported hardwares in apples site, and normallly the manufacturers tell on their site about the compatibilities.

:)

I will probably get a 17' PowerBook primarely as a multimedia mashine and some games. I grew up with DOS and kind of miss it. I guess that I can play around in UNIX command line to make that up. I love to find out how everything really works. I have also been making some software on my own. This mashine will keep me busy when boored. It would be great to run KDE on a MAC. MAC PowerBooks beats all PC laptops in design and gizmos. symphonix: i have also been living in the Australian tropics and moved back to bloody cold Sweden last december. One last question: PC laptops age very rapidly. Does the same thing happend with MAC's?? Thnx again guys for all the help.

Well, g'day to a fellow Aussie, then... ;-)

As for the question about Mac laptops depreceating in value ... well, they aren't as bad as PC laptops in that regard, HOWEVER there is typically a significant drop in price on latest-model products like the new powerbooks once the product line reaches about 6 to 12 months.
If, on the other hand, you were to buy a mac laptop that has been around for a year and has already undergone its price drop ... such as the iBook ... then they hold their value VERY well.
But then, if you've got the cash to splash, you'll be happier with the PowerBook because it is better equipped, faster, cooler and has a screen that is to die for.

Oh, and I often run Gnome on my little mac for the purposes of running Gimp, as well as the handful of cheesy games that come with it. If you set it up correctly, you can have the gnome menu-icon (the little footprint tile) sitting in the corner of your Mac desktop, just next to the dock, and use that to start your Unix apps. And, of course, you can use the same file system; which means I can edit a file in PhotoShop, then do some work on it in Gimp, then straight back to PhotoShop, without having to stop for anything. (on a PC you would have to reboot to do that!)

I am actually going to be tutoring the Unix students at university this coming term, and its largely becuase I was able to really stun our unix administrator with the cool things I can achieve on my Mac. I've used Redhat, Mandrake and Caldera linux, and they're nice. Not too special, just nice. Mac OS X is something altogether different. It is complete, comprehensive, useful, well supported and presented.

Best of luck.

The PowerBook seems great. But how fast is the 1GHz G4 CPU when compared to a Pentium 4. Maybee a stupid question to ask. But I ask it anyway. The UNIX and LINUX software needs to be written for the PowerPC architecture, right?? I want to move back to NQ because it is to bloody cold here.
Cheers Andy

The speeds aren't comparable at least on mz = mhz. powerboooks are fast, but maybe better wait for someone who has used both them and recent pcs (=p4s) as well .. my pentium experiences end on around 366 mhz (as of my machnes) .. macs retain their value better than pcs, so if you have a look on the used pc and used mac prices you surely will see the difference. :)
the unix / linux stuff is better when for ppc architecture.. (or 'pure' unix) ... freebsd should work as well as its kernel is about the same as in darwin (os x). :)

I know that you cannot compare Hz between different different and even within the same CPU architecture. Its the amount of work done in each CPU cycle that counts. The new PowerBook also have DDR333 ram and that will give some extra power when compared to SDRAM. Does anyone know if the 17' PowerBook gets hot after some time?? The alu casing should aid in cooling down the unit.

I got a old generation of PB Itanium here (15"). I't not too hot after 2 hours of working, and the fan will automatically switch into intensive mode to cool the machine. I think the new generation will work better on that.
about speed, hen, it's hard to say, since it would be better to compare the performance for applications written for Windows and MAC. In this case, maybe someone here, who has more experience using Photoshop, can give you a better answer.

Anyone having experience in photoshop? I want to know the performance of a 1GHz PowerBook when compared to a later Pentium 4.
Cheers Andreas

Back