X11 won't start (10.3.1, X11 1.0)

LordOphidian

Adjutant On-Line
Well today my X11 install decided it didn't want to start. I had been working a while-ago (I haven't had the occasion to use it for almost a month), but today it just starts and immediately exits with the following error to the console:
Code:
2003-11-28 12:10:30.424 X11[521] Could not connect the action run: to target of class X11Controller
2003-11-28 12:10:30.426 X11[521] Could not connect the action run: to target of class X11Controller
2003-11-28 12:10:30.428 X11[521] Could not connect the action hide: to target of class X11Controller
2003-11-28 12:10:30.430 X11[521] Could not connect the action unhide: to target of class X11Controller
Unrecognized option: --xquartz-be-xinit
use: X [:<display>] [option]
-a #                   mouse acceleration (pixels)
-ac                    disable access control restrictions
-audit int             set audit trail level
-auth file             select authorization file
bc                     enable bug compatibility
-br                    create root window with black background
-x string              loads named extension at init time 

There is quite a bit more, as /usr/X11R6/bin/X has a good deal of options, but the relevant part is there. It looks like the options to X are wrong, as --xquartz-be-xinit should be -x quartz-be-xinit.

I have re-installed X11User.pkg from the cd's but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Or what broke it?

Did you find a solution? I ran into exactly the same problem today. My X11 was working just fine on OS X 10.2.8 all day, but I got almost exactly the same message as you got after installing 10.3. I haven't tried to reinstall the X11 based on your lack of success in getting it to work. Please post to the forum if you found a solution.

Thanks.

Nope. I haven't found any solutions yet. It's quite annoying.

From the error, it seems like the version of XFree and of the X11.app are not matching up, but I can't seem to figure out why. Especially since it was working for a while on 10.3.

Well I just got it to work. I went and nuked my /Applications/X11.app and my /usr/X11R6, removed the X11User reciept in /Library/Reciepts and then re-installed. This time it put X11.app under /Applications/Utilities and running that works.

So I would check on yours and see if you have a X11.app under utilities. It might be the case that my problems were from doing an archive-install. As for why it worked before, I don't know.

Yup. I hadn't realized that X11.app was going to be installed in /Applications/Utilities. I just removed /Applications/X11.app and everything works fine with the new version now. Thanks.

Back