x86 Binary with 10.0.1 Update

blb

`'
Found something kinda odd or interesting: with the 10.0.1 update comes a little app called DisplayAlert (apparently just says you need 300M for the update). The interesting part is when you do a file on the actual binary,

% cd /Library/Receipts/10.0.1Update.pkg/Contents/Resources/DisplayAlert.app/Contents/MacOS

% file DisplayAlert
DisplayAlert: Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures
DisplayAlert (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
DisplayAlert (for architecture i486): Mach-O executable i386

Looks like x86 binaries are showing up in updates...

Interesting, both the file command (that I didn't know about) and the x86 code. I wonder if that's a by-product of some of the Darwin project compilers or if there's something else going on.

-Rob

The main reason I found it interesting was that Darwin is only the underlying Unix part, without a GUI, right? This little program is a window, so I wonder if Apple is porting Aqua?
And file is a nice little command; if you're curious, it uses /etc/magic to help determine file type.

The Apple engineer compiled it as a FAT binary by mistake.

Apple isn't even pushing the x86 port, it was done almost entirely by 3rd party contributors.

a FAT binary is one that runs on 68K and PowerPC, right? Why would that explain a reference to the intel platform?

Actually, a fat file is just one which works with multiple architectures, 68k/PPC being the one used until now. I recently found an interesting command which deals with fat files, and shows an odd sense of humor from someone's point of view. From a terminal, do a 'man lipo' ...

actually, i'm sitting, but thanks for the info. i'll have to try man page when i get back to my X box (oh god .... i can say i have an X box .... don't know whether i'm happy... or sad.)

Micro$oft has stolen from common vocabulary the word windows, and the letter X, and they have also stolen from the eXtreme Programming initiative the letters XP. Now they're trying to claim all of .net internet domain as their concept. I hate those freaks. ... also, the man on lipo is hilarious, at least from a really geeky point of view.

Enough wierd stuff of this nature has come out of Apple it really does make you wonder what they're playing with inside their little cathedral of coders...

Tetrahydrocannibanol, amanita muscaria, and lysergic acid diethylamide, that's what.

Same thing I'm playing with :)

Micro$quash, however, is probably playing with alcohol, which would explain the confusing nature of their programs, the braggish boastfulness of the company, and the fact that Bill Gates stinks to high heaven.

thedbp

Back