xBox 360 PPC vs PowerMac PPC

nixgeek said:
I've always liked Microsoft's hardware (mouse, keyboard, gaming systems, etc). Good quality stuff.

Too bad their software isn't of the same quality. :D

Looks like early adopters are already having troubles . The new Illegible Screen Of Death.

no. that's stupid. the only difference is wifi pads and a harddrive.

every computer with a screen has a graphics chip. some are better than others, but to display visuals, it needs a graphics chip. the 360 has a particularly good ATi one.

I'll definitely get one if one is available my way. Although I'm not huge on gaming, the prospect of hacks for the rev 1 hardware will probably be much higher than subsequent releases.
I would of thought the system would of come with more RAM, like 1GB instead of 512.

To take this full circle... I think that the 360 could make a decent powermac repacement... Here's the very technical XBOX-360 PPC CPU core breakdown (some of which is in mandrin).. http://www.ccw.com.cn/notebook/pczx/sy/htm2005/20051028_16OMI.htm

You can add memory to the motherboard, and probably soon a decent SATA hard drive... I think the www.free60.org project is doing a good job, working out all this, and I think we should OS-X/Xbox-360 capability in a few months. (thats my main intention)

Lt Major Burns said:
no. that's stupid. the only difference is wifi pads and a harddrive.

every computer with a screen has a graphics chip. some are better than others, but to display visuals, it needs a graphics chip. the 360 has a particularly good ATi one.

Wow if it were directly to the noob 3rd poster i would say you owned him. What a noob, all forms of display need a video chip, even watches and digital clocks.

By the way, and slightly off topic, why don't they call the company MegaHard, instead of Microsoft? Seems somehow inadequate, and stuff.

BTW Mister Me, The Xbox 360 doesn't use the Cell processor. It uses a PowerPC processor similar to the G5. The Cell processor is in the Atari 2600.

And Power Macs ARE overpriced. Way. Like, why can't we get the base model for $1500? Why $2000!!!? for the base model. I mean, they're real pretty, and funky, but ~$500 more than a comparable machine? Don't get me started.

Overpriced? Nah.. Because the PowerMacs included many features of softwares, hardwares, and plenty room for upgrades than what 360 have! PowerMacs can last longer than 360..

Well, so does a good nail, but it costs a few cents only. ;) Ah, all this comparing of apples and lemons makes me tired...

As for the 360s crashing, it seems to be related to the power supply overheating. Couple of guys found that by hanging it up they can eliminate the crashes. Wait for a recall on the powersupplies after xmas (when the bad press won't affect sales too much) :)

Back