Xcode 1.5

btoth

Person that uses a Mac
So, Xcode 1.5 is available from Apple now. Is anyone else having trouble downloading it? When I try to connect to the FTP server, it rejects my user name and password.

I'm having more troubles than that.

When I tried downloading it, the 'connecting to server' dialog popped up and stayed up. The Finder immediately went spinning-beachball-of-death on me, so I couldn't click on cancel. Safari froze the same way next. I couldn't switch apps by the dock or command-tab, couldn't cmd-opt-esc quit anything either (though F12 did still eject the CD tray, isn't that nice?).

I could still switch apps by clicking on windows, and I could move the frozen app windows around, so I could still switch to apps that had open windows. I had a terminal window open, so I tried to run 'top -u' to see what was going on, but the command wouldn't launch - the terminal window was the next thing to go beachball.

At that point I got fed up and applied the power switch of doom to the whole computer.

Here's an entry from my system log, which might be a hint of something going seriously pear-shaped:
Aug 6 10:48:10 localhost kernel: nfs server ftp://75346414@imercury1.apple.com/Developer_Tools/xcode_v1.5/segments/: not responding

NFS? That's not supposed to be happening! So, I'll wait a while for xcode...

I've had issues. We use a Novell BorderManager proxy at work, but I also can use a UNIX proxy to get out. The UNIX proxy always gives weird reporting when downloading from ftp (the size, time, remaining, everything is all blank) and BorderManager seems to create issues with Apples FTP server. It will let me log in, but then when I try to get the file I get either (too many connections) or (login incorrect) or something similar.. this is from WinXP Pro + FireFox 0.9.2...

I was using the Asia Pacific (australia) mirror as that's closest to me..

I had just recently downloaded XCode 1.2 and it took a long time. I think I'll wait a few weeks before I download 1.5.

I'm quite disappointed that they've stuck with gcc 3.3 because gcc 3.4 generates much better code and in general my apps get a speed up of roughly 10%.

On ADC only. However, you can get a free ADC account and download Xcode Tools 1.5 now. (quite a big download...)

ach, they should just put up a bittorrent for it - let their users host the file on their own bandwidth... Most of the big Linux distros do it that way, and it's faaaast.

The code completion for Java sure is a nice addition. And it looks like they fixed the broken SetFile tool.

Yeah, a torrent file would be great for any new big downloads.

Back