XCode Build Problem - Please HELP!

Miss K

Registered
Basically, I've been working on a group project, that is written in Cocoa/Objective-C, which we've been using XCode for.

One of my group members decided a week ago that he'd create a new version of our application by creating a new folder, projectV4, and simply copy all the files from projectV3 into that directory and call it our new version.

Another group member then changed the name of the executable in the target details.

Unknowing to either of these changes, given that I was still being developing features for the app and upon making changes I was simply running the "Build and Run" option, the application runs exactly as expected. The problem I'm having is that if I try and run the actual Executable, it spits errors out at me and won't allow me to run it. I'm fairly convinced this has something to do with the changes the others have made, and I've been left to pick up the pieces even though I'm nothing more than an amateur myself.

Could anybody shed any insight on what is causing the problems with the executable? The fact that the application can still be run leads me to believe that the fix is something straightforward for somebody that knows what they're doing.

The last "working" version that I have was a backup taken a week ago, and a LOT of changes have been made since then, so re-applying the changes to the previous version is not a very feasible option at the moment, given that there are very few days left to fix this problem!

It is now nearly 5am and I have run out of options on what I think *might* make it work. I'm getting desperate - so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Miss K said:
Unknowing to either of these changes, given that I was still being developing features for the app and upon making changes I was simply running the "Build and Run" option, the application runs exactly as expected. The problem I'm having is that if I try and run the actual Executable, it spits errors out at me and won't allow me to run it.
When you say you can't run the actual executable, does that mean you can run the program from Xcode, but when you double-click the executable, you get errors? If the answer is Yes, the most likely cause of your problem is ZeroLink. When you build with ZeroLink, Xcode skips the linking stage, which means the executable file is just a shell. If you move the executable file, then try to launch it, the launch will fail.

The easiest way to turn off ZeroLink is to use the Release build configuration (Xcode 2.1) or the Deployment build style (earlier Xcode versions). Choose Project > Set Active Build Configuration to make the change.

If the answer to my question is No, I would suggest creating a new project and adding all your files to the project.

I'm sure you know this but as your really running out of time I thought I'd post it in the off chance that it will be helpful.

You have to import files to a new project you can't just add them to the new folder. Go to project menu and find add to project.

S**t that sounds dumb, don't know why I posted it really...

Also, have you tried cleaning you project, to get rid of any pre-compiled files?

What does this app do?

Back