Xcode projects' "build" folders

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
I'm pretty sure of the answer to this question, but I want to make sure before I do something potentially boneheaded:

Am I right in saying that everything contained in the "build" folders of my Xcode projects is not vital? If I delete the entire folder, it will just recreate everything in there the next time I compile, right?

The reason I ask is that I'm preparing to make a major system backup, and I have over a gig of "build" folders. Deleting them en masse would make my backing-up routine a lot simpler.

Also, on a somewhat related note, does Xcode's "Clean All Targets" do anything besides emptying the "build" folder?

Yeah, those build folders and such aren't important. I think they're only used so you don't have to recompile every time.

And from Apple's documentation about cleaning:
By default, cleaning a target also removes any precompiled header binaries used by that target. Because precompiled headers can be shared across multiple targets and projects, this may mean that you are rebuilding your precompiled headers more often than is truly necessary. To preserve existing precompiled headers, deselect the Also Remove Precompiled Headers option in the dialog that Xcode displays when you clean a target.

Back