XCode

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Can anyone get XCode to install?
When I run the installer, it says "An application must be run to check if it can be installed". No application opens that I can see, but the installer says "Checking packages" and sits there doing nothing.

I can tell it's not doing anything because the installer process is using 0 to 1% CPU, enough to run the little progress animation, and the CDROM isn't being accessed.

I have the exact same problem. I left it running for more than an hour, and it still had that same message. Hope somebody figures this out soon!

I sort of got it to install..
There's a folder called Packages which has a bunch of packages in it. I got the one called DeveloperTools.pkg and DevDocumentation.pkg to work.

There's one for installing gcc 2.95.2 but I don't know why you would want it as the Tools come with 3.3

There's SDK installers for 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3, but none of them will work either. Looks like they are unfinished installers. I don't know if I'll need them or not, or if the DeveloperTools.pkg installs the SDKs anyways.

There's one called CrossDevelopment.pkg which I have no idea what it's for. It says it will install but requires 0 bytes so it's not going to install anything.

The PDF that comes with it says it'll install on Jaguar, so maybe I'll try it under Jag and see if it works better.

It's possible that I have the Jaguar one, but, I don't really know. It just says XCode Developer Preview. The developer tools that were installed are missing vital SDK files like Cocoa.h etc.

i installed it, but i dont know how to use it... or what "it" is that i installed :D

The original developers' Xcode disk installs beautifully on Jaguar & Panther. Apparently, there are some bits missing from the disk image (!) you're using. But if you're not going to develop for Panther, you ain't missing much, anyway.

You have the original disks?

I was going to use them to develop for Jaguar, because they are still compatible. The real benefit of the new tools is the faster compiling time.

Originally posted by Captain Code
...I was going to use them to develop for Jaguar, because they are still compatible. The real benefit of the new tools is the faster compiling time.
Same here. Although I guess I could just d/l the gcc 3.3 update.

I really just wanted to poke around a little under the hood of Panther. You know, hacking .nib files and such. ;)

My developer tools for Jag don't work under Panther because I installed it on a separate drive. For some reason, you can only use the developer tools while booted off the same drive they are on.:rolleyes:

i got Xcode to install, but I can't find out how to get the Cross Development to work. According to the docs you use the "Search Paths target setting" but I can't find it anywhere! Anyone have any info? Is this even in this version of Xcode for 10.3?

Back