xda, xPhone and the inevitable??

Quicksilver

Find a golden apple.
Hmm... There is starting to be a little hype growing about this xda and the up & coming xPhone though it utilises a windows like operating system. Will this mean that a windows os in advanced mobile deveices be the dominent player even before Apple jumps on? or will Apple decide to jump on this band wagon with a mini OS X like phone/pda to swing users over to os x/mac.

The iPod has made a huge impact. People believe apple products are really high quality, which they are. but there is also surly a growing market where people need a little tease of OS X before they buy a system. A nice inevitable transition to OS X/Apple.

I just wish somehow I could like my iPod to my P900... It would be awesome to have 15Gb of 'stuff' for my P900.. movies and all sorts. I always carry both with me, shame i can't use them together. :(

In fact, Microsoft has tried and tried again, but failed in the mobile phone market so far. For a long time, none of the big players jumped on MS' bandwaggon. Now Motorola has, but Motorola also uses Symbian and Linux in phones.

Right now, Symbian is the clear leader in smartphones' market share. There's Series 60 (coming along nicely, I prefer those), Series 80 (only for Nokia Communicator right now, not licensed) and UIQ (used in SonyEricsson's P800 and P900 as well as some Motorola UMTS mobile set).

I don't see Apple jumping on the bandwaggon, really. I've talked about this several times on macnews.net.tc and would love to see Apple working with Symbian. (And they do, but only to improve iSync right now.)

Series 60 phones (and also UIQ) are very nicely integrated with Mac OS X through iSync.

well, tried a xda II for about 4 months, been loving it but hey, i let it go 2 nites ago, cause the battery life was too short.
honestly, its really good to be able to browse the net and on a messenger on the go, but i guess i just don't really use it that much.

Apple have gone on record as saying that they don't want to get into the mobile / cell phone market because they don't feel that they can add value.

I say they can.

For instance, imagine an Apple phone linking into iSync, iCal & Address Book. Imagine this phone working via Bluetooth and / or AirPort.

All of this connectivity building towards yet another revenue stream for Apple via .Mac accounts to enable all of this interactivity and mobility.

Quite quickly, we build a picture of a phone that can take a hold of your mobile data management needs and help keep you on the move.

Apple aren't so precious that they'd want to or need to build their own OS for this, they proved that with the iPod; the OS is licensed from some firm in the UK.

I think Apple have a clear opportunity to really add value and make some money besides...

Back