XDarwin & Orobor

OK, OK, OK--XDarwin is up and running, the Dock works, and so does the Finder. Orobor doesn't work, but what the hell does it do, anyway? Also, the X11 Clients that install with XTools don't work, but this is because they're programmed to look only for Tenon's proprietary system, not standard X-windows, right?

I rebooted and the Dock/Finder don't work anymore. Trying to launch an application from either just launches XDarwin. I give up. It was so neat for ten minutes. I just don't care anymore. Thanks, everyone.

The only thing I can think of is something is lurking about from Xenon's Xtools. Some library or something it installed that you missed on uninstalling may be whacking your Xfree86 installation everytime you install it.

Also, you may have accidently deleted a critical file. It seems that you may have somehow muffed your OS if the updater is no longer working. Xdarwin should not be "That" tied into your dock and finder. It should work as any other app and call for Xfree86 to start up from the Unix portion of the OS. (If that makes sense?)

I'm begining to feel that a new OSX install may be necessary. But you can keep asking, there may be someone here that knows better. One other thing, if there are missing libraries, you could try a fink install of Xfree86 and see what libraries it claims you are missing.

Just my two cents.
Good Luck.:)

SA

I know. I lost Software Update about six weeks ago. It errors out at the end of every download. If I run the OS X installer, it won't touch the directories it doesn't create, and will update, but not completely overwrite, say, /Applications, right?

Chenly,

Please try this:

sudo rm -rf /usr/X11R6 /etc/X11

Also, if you can open the console, could you post the last 30 lines?

If it works, then you can just re-install XFree86 with Fink.

Let me know.

Cheers...

If I run the OS X installer, it won't touch the directories it doesn't create, and will update, but not completely overwrite, say, /Applications, right?

It kinda depends. Because , if you have your User directory installed on another Volume you can do this and then just use the USer volume you created. It should overwrite /Applications. However, I'm not a hundred percent sure if it will overwrite any added files if you do not reformat the drive. Never really tried it myself. You may want to send a message out to Testuser. He is a member of this forum and has experience seeting up partitions. So he might know how the OSX installer affects your directories.

Also, have you tried booting into "single user" mode and running fsck -y to check you directory structure? I'm not sure how beneficial this would be for you, but it definately would not hurt.

If all else fails, you could backup the important stuff and start anew.

Good Luck.
:)
SA

chenly,

If you enter into single user mode as suggested by buc99:

Run fsck -y 
Be sure to do this one first, it will check the boot volume's file system, and repair if necessary. This probabaly may not be able to fix all problems in a single pass, so if it finds and fixes anything, it'll tell :

"***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****"

Run it until it doesn't find any more errors.

Other commands to know if you are there:

mount -uw /   Remount the boot volume, enabling write access.

SystemStarter   Start up more of the system, basically running all of the StatupItems, including networking, NetInfo, NFS, and many background daemons. Doesn't start the Aqua interface; it leaves you with the single-user command line when it's done.

(After running SystemStarter, do not continue the boot with the 'exit' command.)

pico, vi, emacs are available to edit text in single-user mode, although with some minor problems.

nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb For editing the local Netinfo database. Quite handy if the system can't boot properly because of a Netinfo configuration problem.

exit   Continue the boot process (go to multi-user mode). But, if you've made any significant changes it's much safer to 'reboot' instead.

reboot   Reboot the computer.

shutdown -h now   Shut the computer.

In single user mode, the default shell is zsh, while the normal default is tcsh, but you probably will not notice the difference.

Apple's default command aliases arent's set up.

The keyboard is not fully configured in single-user mode. So you get no arrow keys for command line editing or in text editors.

You can use instead, command characters :

^p - previous line, equivalent to up-arrow
 ^n - next line, equivalent to down-arrow
 ^b - back a character, equivalent to left-arrow
 ^f - forward a character, equivalent to right-arrow

(Hold down the control key+ the letter)

Added by a friend:

Also, in single-user mode, you can

% exec tcsh

and get the baseline functionality of the tcsh shell

Cheers...

Nice work Sao. I would have to agree with Javintosh. That would definately make a nice little howto.

Thanks.
SA:)

What I was concerned about, was to explain to a beginner, what to expect when he would decide to enter single user mode. I hope that now, the process is better understood.

Anyhow, fsck is run at boot time automatically, as a sanity check. (When it says "Checking filesystems...", etc.etc., the machine is actually running fsck.)

Cheers...

Actually, I just reinstalled OS X and now XDarwin works just fine. I think maybe the frame buffer setting I changed impacted X-windows performance.

Right! Plus, I've got my list of modifications ready:

1. TransparentDock (http://www.versiontracker.com or http://www.download.com)

2. Double-ended scroll bar arrows.

3. Dedicated swap-file partition.

4. Remove the annoying volume change beep associated with the Pro Keyboard.

5. Frame redraw buffers. Note: this might be what was f*ucking up X-windows before. Must be able to completely undo if necessary.

And that's all!

Back