XDarwin Windowing

DazedAndConfuse

Registered
OK I give up. I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to UNIX especially as it's been more years than I care to remember since I last used it. I've installed XFree86 via fink, which seemed to work fine. Only thing is the resolution on the these new iMac screens ain't too high. All my windows run off the bottom of the screen. How do I resize them? Come to think of it how the hell do you move them around? I've trawled this newsgroup, and had a good poke around the fink website, but I can't seem to find anything. Can somebody please help me?

DC

I am more or less a newbie as well but I may be able to give you some insight, or at least bump you post up for someone else to read.

I've noticed that when opening XDarwin it pops up with 3 windows. Two of them are consistently larger than my screen so I hit the little square in the top left corner to shrink them to nothing and just leave them there. The Third window is like 80x25 or something and that is just the right size to run fink or gimp. You can resize it by the top right corner but the first two windows don't seem to want to resize for me.

I highly suggest getting a window manager called OroborOSX if you like rootless. It makes everything look like it's an Aqua window and allows you to dock the windows. I don't know if it works at all full screen but for me, I like to run it side by side with my other applications.

Just my 2 cents and I hope it helps

I will give OroboOSX a try; I'll let you know how successful I am.

As for just closing the other two windows, here's the thing. My windows have no title bar, hence no little box to close the window, and no ability to move a window around. I'm sure I'm missing some configuration thing, but I don't know what it is. also, out of the three windows that come up when you start XDarwin one kills the whole session if you close it (the other two I can close alone using 'exit'). This doesn't seem particularly rootless to me.

DC

Dazed, you don't have a window manager running. The one which comes by default with XFree86 is twm, which is extremely basic, and needs three buttons to use well. OroborOSX is somewhat better (looks like Aqua, but does not behave likewise; I still use it)

I am a recent convert to os X from various flavors of linux. Sounds to me like you are running xwindows without a window manager. Xwindows is responsible for drawing pictures on your screen. The window managers job is to handle movement of windows, resizeing, iconification etc. Each window manager provides its own look and feel. I like Windowmaker (fink install windowmaker) but there are many others. At start up xwindows looks for a file in your home directory called .xinitrc. This is a hidden file, notice the leading dot. .xinitrc is a plane text file that specifies what applications are lauched when xwindows starts. It seems that by default xdarwin launches three xterms of different size. You can change this behavior by editing or creating a new .xinitrc file. One thing to know is that normally all but the last command specified in .xinitrc are launched in the background by following the command with a & character. My .xinitrc for example is as follows:

xterm &
xemacs &
wmaker

The result is that xwindows starts an xterm, an xemacs session, and in the forground wmaker (the window manager) because the first two commands are run in the background they can be closed without shutting down xwindows. In effect xwindows is waiting for the last command run in the foreground (wmaker) to exit before it itself exits. Any command can be used as the foreground hook for xwindows, and your session will stay alive untill that application exits. Make sure that the last entry and only the last entry in .xinitrc is run in the foreground or weird behavior will result. I hope this helps, good luck and have fun.

OroborOSX claims to be a window manager that has a built in Xfree86 background. I don't know if this is true as I have never tried running it without Xfree86 installed in the form of XDarwin. Dazed and Confused: If you're still having trouble try downloading XDarwin (Xfree86) from http://www.xdarwin.org/download/ This is the one that I tried that comes with a (very ugly) Window manager, and it could be that OroborOSX is looking for that to latch onto. I don't know why OroborOSX is only like 8 megs and this is 57 so maybe Orobor isn't the full enchilada.

I admit I am a newbie trying to give back to the community because I went through the same but slightly different ordeal less than a month ago. It can be a very overwhelming ordeal but is a lot of fun once you get through it. Now that I think about it, I had everything running once and then had to wipe my hard drive and tried the Xfree86 download from Fink and I had a similar problem. I know there is a way to make that version work but I don't know what that way would be.

Yes, the latest version of Oroborosx has XDarwin.app already built in. I don't know whether that means you don't need XDarwin installed at all, or what - whether it's just the .app part, but not the server itself, etc., or if Oroborosx now has everything you need...

Thanks. This worked a treat. Exactly what I was looking. Now it's all working the unix is starting to come back to me. Slowly.

Thanks again,

DC

Originally posted by hgreenfi
I am a recent convert to os X from various flavors of linux. Sounds to me like you are running xwindows without a window manager. Xwindows is responsible for drawing pictures on your screen. The window managers job is to handle movement of windows, resizeing, iconification etc. Each window manager provides its own look and feel. I like Windowmaker (fink install windowmaker) but there are many others. At start up xwindows looks for a file in your home directory called .xinitrc. This is a hidden file, notice the leading dot. .xinitrc is a plane text file that specifies what applications are lauched when xwindows starts. It seems that by default xdarwin launches three xterms of different size. You can change this behavior by editing or creating a new .xinitrc file. One thing to know is that normally all but the last command specified in .xinitrc are launched in the background by following the command with a & character. My .xinitrc for example is as follows:

xterm &
xemacs &
wmaker

The result is that xwindows starts an xterm, an xemacs session, and in the forground wmaker (the window manager) because the first two commands are run in the background they can be closed without shutting down xwindows. In effect xwindows is waiting for the last command run in the foreground (wmaker) to exit before it itself exits. Any command can be used as the foreground hook for xwindows, and your session will stay alive untill that application exits. Make sure that the last entry and only the last entry in .xinitrc is run in the foreground or weird behavior will result. I hope this helps, good luck and have fun.

Back