Xgrid Project

No, it simply uses a different password to access the controller at the moment... I will change it over to the same password as the agents use for awhile, then change it to something else when it comes time to run the attempt, as it would be very bad to have the attempt running along-side someone tinkering with Mandlebrot. :)

Anyways, it seems interesting that Xgrid runs as 'nobody' as well as every process it starts. There is no real access to the machine that the tasks run on, other than the usual read access. This is very good from the standpoint of security, because it means that it is pretty improbable that Xgrid can be used to gain elevated access on a remote machine, especially with SSL and passwords used to shield Xgrid connections from the world of snoopers.

Okay, I've got it linked in and everything. What about that screen saver?

Hmm, sorry about the late reply everyone... I have been having trouble getting my tool to produce proper multiplications, and since I am writing this code from memory (from a class 6 years ago), it is slow going.

Working or not-working, I will have the current code for the tool posted tonight.

Attached is the current code... as I promised... the plug-in is nowhere near complete, the UI is just designed and the components of the UI attached to the code... actions still need to be attached and written properly, as well as refined behavior for the job itself. The tool currently just inputs 2 numbers and multiplies them. It can take numbers of ANY number of digits (up to 2 billion digits anyways), and multiply them accurately.

Attachments

• XGridFactorial.zip
    65 KB · Views: 6
Was the XGrid plugin supposed to compile?
XCode can't find the definition for _commandField:

NSString *commandString = [_commandField stringValue];
in the PluginJobViewController.m

I guess it's probably just an outlet that's not in the header file or something..

Nope, the plugin is nowhere near ready yet, but I threw it in because I said I would. I have an updated version of the tool working on my machine which can add numbers and multiply them accurately, just need to add subtraction and that SHOULD be enough for the program... but division/remainder might be needed as well.

The plugin is currently being bastardized from the Shell plugin example, so not everything is truly plugged in yet.

Right now I am just focusing on getting the tool ready first, because the plugin needs to know how to call the tool before it is of any use beyond the UI design work I have done so far.

I did a little checking into how large the result would be using ballpark estimation: ~2-3MB. That is 2-3 million digits... definitely not a small feat if this code works as advertised. :)

OK, I wasn't sure if you posted one that was semi working or not.

So does an XGrid node just download the program automatically and work on a set of data? I should really look into this more and look at the code more cause I don't have a good idea of how this works exactly.

The plugin with the tool would get installed onto each person's machine (of their free will)... the plugin when run from my machine will then only use nodes that have the tool installed with the plugin. (At least that is how it supposed to work)

How do we know when it's working? I left my computer running a few times since downloading Xgrid, you know, "just in case" but I have no idea if it's actually doing anything or just sitting there spinning its hard drive.

I will have to boot back into OS X to get it to do something, of course... ;)

Got an update on this? I downloaded the plugin you provided, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Actually, nothing... I apologize, but college courses and final projects have gotten in my way, as well as work. I probably won't have an update for this for another month as I need to focus on other things... the grid will be shutdown for now, so people aren't wasting CPU cycles on an idle grid.

Back