XGrid & XServe G5?

Cat

Registered
Following an item on ThinkSecret I went to give a look at the mailing list on "XGrid". There I found several posts, by the same individual, talking about an XServe G5 that he was allegedly testing in combination with XGrid.

Some quotes:
Hi to all REAL testers. This is an issue on which i am not able to file a log because it happens at startup.

Exactly it's now 2 days ago i cannot start up when a XServe G5 is hooked up. It locks up at: Loading Rendezvous Additional Ressources.

Now even if the XSG5 is disconnected, it won't start up fully and locks up at: Compiler Daemon - TO 0x700 Network Issue. Then a kernel panic like in Jaguar appears.
I know now what is happened... it was the 64-bit mode which wasn't activated so that the xgrid services couldn't be launched...

Secondly... it's a good function to being able to mount unmount the ram virtually in the XServe G5 but it sucks. Does anyone also have this experience?

Al last but not least... now xgrid works fine except saving current build state.
After the XServe G5 firmware update, xgrid functionalities are now fully enabled and i encourage testers of XSG5 to download it.

One thing makes Xgrid B1AA really unstable. When connecting over a local network using the rendezvous enabled release, a build needs to be restarted. This should be solved.

There also was someone mentioning an Apple event on this in early november ...

I'm also a bit puzzled by Apple's apparent 'leak' of xGrid with this list.
I have heard, however, that Apple is building (or has built) a clustering sales/engineering team for my Edu area. I was told this Friday by a colleague who is looking to buy about 20 xserves for a cluster. I don't know where he received such info.
I have also heard from a contact in Apple that they are planning a Clustering technology event in the Chicago area in the near future (beginning of Nov?) We are trying to get a similar event at our site if possible.

I'd say whatever "it" is, it's coming sooner than MWSF. :) (not that we don't have a decent idea from the list description)

It's a public mailinglist, the webarchives of which can be freely accessed. Go and have a look.
Is it fake? Is it true? Is it an early hush-hush beta-test?

XServe G5 would be a logical follow up to the PowerMac ...

If these had been manufactured that closely to the PowerMacs, wouldn't that humongous cluster of 1100 Macs have been XServes?

The "clustering event" (if true) would be at the beginning of November. We'll have to wait and see. Anyhow it's interesting that Apple put up this list without announcing the app. Obviously there would be a beta-testing stage and I suppose beta-testers would be drawn to use the mailinglist ... however, wouldn't they be under NDA? That's what puzzles me ... If they are under NDA, the last thing they would do is post in a publicly accesable list ... but then, Apple itself put up the list and lifted the veil, so mabe he thought it was OK to post about it ... and the XServe G5 just slipped out, because he thought it was a "private" Apple board... Hmmm ... :confused:

Update: seems to be fake allright.

From the mailing-list, concerning the guy who posted about the XServe G5:
This guy posted to appleinsider.com a few months ago about making web page changes to apple's site regarding the "rotary mouse" and "iphone" too. Just go away, troll!

And then check out the comments onthis site.

So this was a hoax, but still I don't doubt that sooner or later we will see a G5 XServe and Apple will explain what the mysterious Xgrid is.

Back