XML and Flash

Mat

iSmell
Hi

I have a little web page that shoes my CD collection http://mat.cjb.cc/ and as you can see it is a little crude and not too user friendly as it is so long.

What I'd like to do is redo it in flash and have pages so viewers can go by letters the alphabet to view albums by artists starting with 'S' or example. Now I have heard that I can do this using XML, but am unfamiliar with the language (I do know HTML) and am still not 100% whether it can really be done this way.

What I'd like to be able to do is have it so if I add a new album, there is a recently added section. Also I don't want to have to go in and add the albums alphabetically, is there a way I can simply add them to the XML file and have a Flash app or something alphabetise the list for me?

All help/comments welcomed and appreciated.

Mat

I think for its purposes flash is totally unnecessary. If you plan on adding images and info then MAYBE I would consider doing something with JavaScript. I think at this point you are better off putting internal anchors for each letter at the top of the page.

Thanks man. The problem there is that I know Flash and do not know Javascript.

There are anchors already. They're on the left. The page is just too long, I don't like it at the moment. Even if the whole XML/Flash thing is a silly idea, does anyone know how I would do it, or a site with some good points of reference?

Back