XP Installer fails

KenDRhyD

Registered
I downloaded the latest Bootcamp beta to my new 24" Intel iMac (500GB drive), burned a driver CD, partitioned the disk (32GB for Windows), and then attempted to boot from the Windows XP Pro SP2 CD -- several times.

The CD boots and goes through the steps of loading all of the driver software and then indicates it is starting Windows. Once the next screen is displayed, asking to press ENTER to continue with the install -- nothing happens and nothing works. The shift key on the keyboard (wired USB) is on but no keys are acknowledged, or if they are the installer is simply hanging.

I have tried two different install CDs, with the exact same results. Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

I'm having the exact same problem man....my buddy here tried installing it and the keys didnt work...he had the same thing happen to him on his macbook...anyone got ideas to help?

I have traced the problem a bit further -- the keyboard is not seen by the Windows XP installer at all! It works fine in the boot loader and with MacOS X, but at no point can I interact with the Windows installer!

This includes at the beginning of the boot process for the installer when one has options to press a key to install special drivers and the like.

I have seen that some of the older black Apple keyboards won't work with the WinXP installer. Are you using the Apple keyboard that came with your new iMac? Do you have an unusual mouse or trackpad/drawing pad attached? Make sure that you have no other devices except those needed for the install, and no extra USB hubs. Make sure that your keyboard is plugged directly into the computer.

Wahoo!

I removed all USB devices except the Apple keyboard and mouse that came with the system and the installation finally worked!

Now to get Parllels installed and tested!

But if you start a thread about it, call it "Parallels". ;) ... I guess we can write this one down as:

"When installing Windows XP with BootCamp, only connect the original USB keyboard and mouse that came with your Mac."

Back