XP & OS X Easy Networking?

Jayem

The All Seeing
I posted a thread about this a little while ago and I had a few replies, but they didn't help much. Sorry guys.
I guess it had to be my explination of the problem.
I have two computers at my home. One is a G4 Mac running X.1.1, and a Pentium 4 running Windows XP home edition. They both share an internet connection via cable modem. They spilt this connection at my linksys X-Router & 4 port hub. THEY ARE NOT DIRECTLY CONNECTED.
I need to exchange files from between both computers. ::eek:: I know its gonna be a bitch, but its a must. Im not looking to share printers or scanners or anything like that... just files. I have no idea how to get windows XP to set up their version of File Sharing. Their wizard is fuckin stoopid. So yeah... the only way that Ive come up with is to set up the G4 as a DMZHost thru the router, and connect to it from the P4 with FTP. I personally hate doing this because it compromizes my security , and all in all is just a pain in the ass.
I need to know how to make these two computers realize that technically they are on the same network... and then get them to be able to share files.. any sugestions?

If they are both connected to the hub, then it's no problem. Open OS X's Network Utility (or whatever it's called) and ping the IP address of the XP box. If you can do that then you're fine.

1. Turn on file sharing in XP & share a folder or something. Set it to Share Level access control. Confirm that windows is really sharing something by checking in My Network Places (or whatever it's called in XP) and making sure that your computer is listed, etc. Actually, that's the way you check in Win98 etc., I honestly don't remember if 2000/XP does it that way. Someone else might want to enlighten me :)

2.a. On Mac OS X, get a copy of Sharity (it's free, and listed in Apple's OS X downloads on www.apple.com I think). You could also install Samba, but Sharity's a whole lot easier to deal with.
- or -

2.b. OS X apparently has SMB (windows file sharing) built in for accessing share points on a Windows box. Search for SMB in the Help Viewer.. I've never been able to get it to work right, but it's supposed to be possible.

That's really all there is to it. You've got one way file sharing (meaning you'll have to do all the transfers from the Mac).

If you can't ping between the two machines, then you're losing the TCP/IP connection somewhere between the two boxes. Both machines plugged into the same hub should work great, but if not, make sure the computers have appropriate local IP addresses, they should both be: 192.168.x.x (where X is a number between 0 and 254), or 10.0.x.x.

It also helps if the subnet (first X) is the same (192.168.5.x and 192.168.5.x).

And about the SGI .. I assume you mean that you'd be plugging in the SGI into another port in your hub, and sharing files? Sure, no problem.

Install Samba, or configure it; might already be there.

I personally don't like the samba client too well, but it makes a great server.

Back