XP PC crashes on Airport Extreme Network

Hermie

Registered
Hi,

Mac newbie here.

I just got a powerbook g4 with airport extreme and an airport extreme basestation. I configured the base station to connect to my PPPoe DSL and the powerbook connects wirelessly without a hitch (i see why people love macs). I then tried to add my PC running XP to the network through the base station's ethernet port and the PC is having major problems.

At first it would'nt connect at all. I believe I have the TCP/IP setting configured correctly on the PC (get IP automatically). I then deleted the existing PPPoe broadband connection on the XP machine (even though it wasn't enabled) and that for some reason allowed me to surf for about 2 minutes before the PC would spontaneously reboot.

Thinking that the PC might do better if it was connected to a wireless router designed for PC's (and that the wireless mac would easily join the network) i borrowed a friend's Netgear wireless router. I redid the PPPoe connection on the PC machine as well. I could ping the router from the PC and I could ping www.google.com but I could not access the router's admin function through a browser window. This made me think this was a browser issue but all the settings seem correct.

Getting even more frustrated with my PC, I went back to the original configuration with the Airport base station. I again had the same problem of not being able to open a browser window on the PC (the mac is wirelessly connected and surfing away) even though the PC is seemingly connected to the LAN, can ping the router, etc. I then again deleted the PC's PPPoe dsl connection (even though it wasn't enabled) and was finally able to get a browser window to access the internet...for about three minutes before the pc completely crashed to the dreaded bluescreen of death. I unplugged it from the airport router and it again crashed.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks much

Beats me. I have a 1st gen airport base station, and my wife's XP laptop works on it (wirelessly) just great.

Is your PC's Ethernet built-in or on a card?
Either way, make sure you have the very latest XP drivers.

the PC's ethernet is built in I believe. I may not have the latest windows updated installed which I am going to do now. hopefully that will help

Just for reference I have run an XP home laptop through my snow base-station just fine using both the wired and wireless connections. I would try to do the standard updated drivers install dance and see what you get.

Is your PC one of those with one of them hyperthreaded Intel processors? Coz your prob sounds similar to what I had between my ISDN connection and my new Acer Aspire PC with a 2.8GHz hyperthreaded processor. I got similar crashes til I bought a 128kbps modem and then I could surf the net without any issues. In fact I'm writing this on the PC. Apparently there's a major disparity between the eager processor and data reception...or something along those lines. Coz i've got an HP laptop with a 'normal' P4 2.66GHz processor and I can connect it without the modem and everything is fine. Hope this helps.

Actually it is a hyperthreaded pentium. I ran all of the latest updates and unfortunately I am still getting the problem. I'm not sure I understand how you got around this problem, how does your modem fit in to your network?

Thanks

Hermie

Its not a software problem. For the most part. Coz I've had my laptop running XP crash once after I installed the modem drivers. Before the modem, I also updated everything applicable on the PC and that didn't do anything to improve the situation.
I'm afraid our setups differ. I've got an ISDN line from a SANTIS box. Before getting the modem, I could connect the PC straight to the USB port on the SANTIS box. Now, I connect the PC to the modem and the modem to the box. Basically, the modem provides some sort of buffer.
I don't know if this helps coz you have a rather different stup there.

Back