XP Pro very jerky

jensenoz

Registered
I have been able to install XP Pro on my bootcamp partition but it is very jerky. It also takes a while to boot and finally load. My experience is pc networks and desktops and I would tend to think this is a memory or processor loading issue. I am running however a core 2 duo 2.16 with 1gb of ram. I am considering getting another 1gb stick. I am also running NTFS as my file system instead of FAT32.

Another thoughts from the group? What I mean by jerky is things like when I am running Itunes the music makes that beautiful stuterring sound. Gotta love it.

JJJ

Did you create the drivers disc that Boot Camp asks you to create? I installed it some time ago on a Core Duo iMac with only 512 MB RAM and Boot Camp and Windows ran without any problems. Check the Device Manager to see if you're still missing drivers for certain items and if so, then create the Drivers disc from the Boot Camp Assistant.

Yeah I did do that. However I still have one PCI device that my copy of XP PRO has no idea about. It just seems to me to be very slow sometimes and doesn't like dealing with more than about two to three programs at once. Certainly not what you would expect from a Core Two Duo machine with a gb of ram.

But also remember that Boot Camp is still beta. The only recommended way at this point to run Windows on a Mac is by using Parallels. Hopefully once Leopard is here (which should have the final version of Boot Camp built-in), things should look rosier.

If you can decipher what's listed in the Device Manager, then you might be able to get away with using a non-Apple-provided driver. For instance, you could probably use the Intel-provided Windows drivers for the GMA950 and it should work (I believe I did this once when I played with Boot Camp some months ago).

I haven't had such issues with XP Pro on my Core Duo 1.83 GHz MacBook... (Just to say it's quite certainly not the processor.) ;)

I would definitely increase RAM, although I think this might have more to do with that "unsupported" PCI device -- what is it, by the way? And yes, definitely make sure you have no "question marks" on any devices in device manager.

Try removing the PCI device and seeing if that smooths things out a bit.

Back