a new ( Chromed Drive-Bay ) Power Mac G4 v.3.3 running OS X v.10.2.6,
all hooked up by way of a Linksys Model BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point Router
with 4-Port Switch to an RCA DCM25R digital Broadband ( Cable ) Modem

All three have Internet Access, However-

I can not 'find' either the G3 < \\192.168.1.103 > or
the G4 < \\192.168.1.102 >

From 'Start' 'Search:Files & Folder'

I found and mapped them as Drives Y: & Z: ( with tremendous
trial and error ) last week; Even edited a couple of dozen files on each, but both
connections were lost and I have never been able to restore them.

The G3 and G4 'see' the Laptop 'Go' 'Connect to Network' but all attempts to
connect fail after the password verification with ( error= -5023 ) 'Not Authorized'

What can I do to creat a stable LAN between these three machines?

Eric Cabot Steed
( Striderji )
mailto:unicity@mac.com and/or mailto:unicity@cvip.net

If ping works, the rest is just about software. Did you properly shared windows-folders or drives and same to apple folders and files? For the first time I wouldn't restrict your filesharing by login and password.

While I have been using computers since 1969 ( long story ) I have never, ever done a 'ping' ***- although I'm absolutely certain there must be some way of determining what machines are plugged into a LAN e.g. the router, the modem, and the other two computers ........

After three harrowing hours of trying every 'search' alternative possible, and a couple of double twelve-year-old bourbons; I finally 'mapped' my G4 to the Laptops Desktop as a drive.

I still can't access the Laptop from the Power Mac.

- - - - - - - - -

Given that a Gateway employee ( Gateway folded up their store in my town twenty-minutes after they sold me the 650XL and moved three-hours away on the Left-Coast ) set up my LAN originally, set up the shared-folders, and set up the names ( User & Computer names ) AND did all this with three PC's on the LAN ( a Win 95, a Win 98 SE, and the XP Pro Laptop AND further, that said LAN fell apart the first time the system was rebooted .........

There is obviously Something I'm missing ..........

Striderji
( Eric Cabot Steed )

*** Of Course, I have never, ever set up a LAN before. And I've never, ever had five computers before ( Two of the older ones are just sitting around the house waiting for me to figure out how to set up an effective 802.11b WLAN- the Next step. )

try adding a user account to your mac, with the same name as the account you use on NT

also make "allow windows file sharing"
and make sure the directory access utility in /application/utilities/directory access, has the smbd domain, as your domain name

Make sure your personal firewall is OFF on all the computers -- your router provides it for you.
Speaking of the router, how do you have it set -- for DHCP or for manual IP assignment?

Originally posted by gsahli
Make sure your personal firewall is OFF on all the computers -- your router provides it for you.
Speaking of the router, how do you have it set -- for DHCP or for manual IP assignment?

----------

As far as I know, The Lynsys BEFW11S4 v.2 Wireless Access Point Router w. 4-Port Switch is 'Plug-n-Play'. No settings were made on install-

While the Web site states it is " Configurable as a
DHCP server " "it acts as the only recognized Internet
Gateway on my LAN and serves as an Internet NAT
firewall against unwanted outside intruders ..."

[...]" It can also be configured to filter INTERNAL
USERS ACCESS to the Internet."

I have been using a ZoneAlarm Pro ( Firewall ) for several years - Are you
saying it's no longer necessary using a Cable Modem and WAP Router? It,
the box, says the BEFW11S ver.2 supports ZoneAlarm Pro???

< Is Linksys Owned by Cisco? >

1.) For some unknown reason FTP fails on my G3 & G4, so I couldn't download the users guide. I'll try it on my Pentium 4m. I had trouble with FTP
using the XP Pro mschine , too.

< I obviously need to figure this FTP thing out !! >

2.) Does any one of you know how one access the routers configuration?
( The Comcast / then AT&T Installer may have configured it on Cable Install )

Striderji-the-bedazzeled
( Eric Cabot Steed )

Yes, you should turn off the Zonealarm pro software. And, unless you are going to set up the router diferently, you should set each computer up as DHCP client. Then tell us if you can see the various computers from each other. Try FTPing out, too.

I turned off the ZoneAlarm Pro ...... Still a no-go on FTP downloads. Suddenly became aware of the fact I'm probably going to need FTP uploads for most Web Hosts, Right? Scary!!

I'd have to guess the problem lies within the bowels of the Router / Switch Configuration ........ But what do I know. I did FTP up/down when I used dial-up,
and I think that the firewall simply asked me each time .......

[ I don't run a firewall on OS X 10.2.6- unless it's built in somewhere????]

Any Router Experts Handy?? Is Linksys a Cisco Company???

Striderji-the-Sore

When you say, " Make sure your personal firewall is off." Are you talking about a built-in component of OS X 10.2.6??

-See: 08/20/2003 04:38 PM gsahli Above-

System Preferences > Network (I believe)

It should have a number of networking options you can turn on at the bottom. Turn on Windows Sharing, click the Firewalls tab, and turn off all your firewalls except any that relate to the external cyber world (sorry, I don't have OS X readily available to use and I'm trying to explain this from memory, so bear with me).

OK, so did you set up the computers to use DHCP to get their IP addresses yet? I believe your FTP failed because you have no DNS working because you aren't using DHCP - which forwards DNS requests from the router....

' A Tip-o-the-Hat' to Linksys, now owned by Cisco, for taking the extra step and tracking down the errant Browser-Settings .....

One 'SSL 1.0' on the XP Professional Side and one un-checked box buried in the bowels of the MS IEx 5.2.2 ( 5010.1 ) for Mac .....

I now have FTP - On the download side anyway ..........

- - - - - - - -

I didn't mess with the BEFW11S4 v.2 settings for Zone Alarm Pro due to the fact that there is no support for ZA Pro for OS X 10.2.6 ( or any other Mac as far as I can tell ) Since two-thirds of my Ethernet LAN is Power MacIntosh- Well, Fill-in the blanks .........

- - - - - - - - -

As long as I can edit any file I so desire ( that resides on my G4 ** ) from within my XP Pro Laptop and save it back- I'm happy.

I do wish I knew just why there is so much animosity between the Mac's and the PC, but .........

** My G3 and My G4 will link, so I can pass whatever files I wish back and forth between the two of them. So I just 'daisy-chain'.

Post-Post-Script:

All three CD-ROM Drives are slightly different and equally beligerent formats-
None of these three have 1.44 MB Floppy-Drives- and the two older AMD Clones in the back bedrooms are neither 'Wireless' nor likely to be inter-connected by Cat. 5 Ethernet Cable. ( It's 109 - 120 degree's farenheit in my attic, and there is not enough room or support for my five-year-old son up there ).

If my Wife let's me get away with it <ggg> I may add a PCI Card ( Linksys, of course ) to the Duron later.

Thanks, One and All Again- To everyone on MACOSX.com, Linksys Support, and a very special 'Thanks' to Rachael Smithey < mailto:macsupport.guide@about.com > for amazing patience & perseverance .........

Eric Cabot Steed
( Striderji )

Back