XP suddenly got really messed up?

MAMiller5

Registered
I switched to the XP partition which has been working fine for a while, all of the sudden I can't see the start menu, only the tip of it. I figured maybe some how it got changed to the setting where it appears when you scroll over it, but no, it's just stuck down there. I go to the settings to see if I can change it and right when I get to the control panel the screen flashed and went to a classical theme instead of the XP theme. Now the XP theme is gone from the themes list. Is this a windows virus or something, anyone have a clue what is going on?

First try restoring the theme,

1. Right click on the desktop and choose Properties.
2. On the Theme tab, choose the Windows XP.
3. If this option is missing, you may choose Browse... to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna.theme
4. The Luna.theme is the theme of the Windows XP.

If Luna.theme is missing: Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Expand Files: Luna.MS_ and Luna.TH_

IF this doesn't stick then we look further...is there an antivirus installed and up to date?

I tried doing that and it came up with an error message saying I had to go to the control panel and the administrative settings and turn the theme setting on. When I went to start the theme setting I got another error message saying a file couldn't be found.

No I don't have any antivirus, I figured I wouldn't need it since the only program I'm running is AutoCAD 2009. I also can't get online in the Windows partition because I can't figure out anyway to connect to the internet wirelessly on the classic XP theme.

:(

If I got this right I think you need to check that the themes service is running,

Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. Set to Automatic
Then click Apply then OK

If at this point you are getting the message that the file can't be found then I think things are getting corrupted.

As far as having no antivirus you may be ok since you are not online...however how often are you transferring files back and forth via USB or CD?

Have you installed anything new recently?

Back