XP x64 + Boot Camp

creiss

Registered
Hey there!

I just installed XP 64 and wanted to install the Boot Camp drivers. Its from a SP2 CD, so SP2 is installed. winver even tells me so. When i insert the Mac OS X CD the setup tells me that it needs "Service Pack 2", even tho its installed.

Any ideas?
-Chris.

There are no x64 drivers for XP supplied with Boot Camp. While some newer models of Macs (Intel Macs since late 2007) do support 64-bit OS in Boot Camp, it is limited to 64-bit Vista.
Therefore you would need to either locate all drivers separately from manufacturers (e.g. from Intel) - or switch to 32-bit XP. Or 64-bit Vista.

Mh ok,

I just wiped XP off the disk again and installed Vista 64. I have the update that will enable x64 support - what do i do now? The Leo disk does not support x64 bit i think (i bought the imac last friday).

I tried doing that with an earlier installation and it failed with key-agent or key-something.

-Chris.

Hi Chris,
Whether or not your Mac will have the 65-bit support for it is kind of a hidden feature since they never published an official list of what has the 64-bit version and what not. The y started to ship the Macs that support the 64-bit versions of Boot Camp Vista in very late 2007. So if your Mac was manufactured and shipped in late 2007 it would support this - then again it would probably have been shipped with Leopard preinstalled with it.
The earlier versions of Macs do support 64-bit ... but not in Boot Camp :( so if your Mac was manufactured earlier, but is still a Core 2 Duo, then the 64-bit Windows OS may be accessible only with VMware Fusion - maybe with latest Parallels too if they updated it in the past few months.
If you are not sure if your Mac has that feature, when did you buy it? Or which model and proc. speed does it have, and what are the first 5 digits of the serial number? (this may help to narrow it down in case of doubt)

A good way to check would be to try to install the latest Java SE 6 update.
It will only install on 64 bit capable Intel macs.

Well i returned the iMac. As I bought it on friday and on monday the new models where released. So I am now paying the same for a 24" 3.06 4gb ram 1tb hdd iMac. Let's see if the new one is capable of doing this.

Back