Xpress 5.0 out

tagliatelle

I have a graduate in programming and I'm looking out for promotion at my work for a more administrative job. I have never used this software and I can't say much about it, but it seems that this is not osxsoftware.
There is also new software available from Philips, it is a software that let you computer know which music is played on the radio.
Hervé

is dumbfounding!!!!

Their main product is QuarkXpress, this essentially hasn't changed since version 3 (5 years and running now, okay 4 is out, but never justified a whole new version). They've had years to get v5 out for OSX, that ain't gonna come till Sept 02 at least!

InDesign 2 is now out as is SERIOUSLY good. Quark 5 is not, and will be probably a 3rd to 2 times more the price of InDesign.

quark is going down the pan soon, in my lovely opinion!

Saying that InDesign is "seriously good" is like saying that Godiva chocolate is "pretty tasty."

InDesign will kill Quark (thank god!). Anyone who has used InDesign 2 for OS X could tell you that it thoroughly and roundly whips Quark's sorry ass straight down to the uncompiled code.

i would love nothing more than to give Quark the cold steel tip of my boot.

unfortunately, i'm tied to Quark because my shop relies on a VERY expensive 3rd party Quark Xtension used to impose and output press-ready printer flats.

does anyone know of any imposition solutions utilizing inDesign?

So I'm not completely sure of the entire feature set as it was released. But something in the back of my mind tells me that InDesign might be able to do this natively. Only way to find out would be to email Adobe I guess ... but there is a LOT in InDesign that Quark needs extra extentions (read: more $) to do (i.e. drop shadows), plus some neato transparency tricks that really make design work a breeze. Instead of having to composite everything in photoshop and then import it to InDesign only to find out that its not quite right, having to go back to Photoshop, etc., you can do a lot of it right in InDesign.

I'm waiting for Adobe to build a computer. Mac-based of course, but it would install a dual-boot thing where you boot into the AdobeOS, where all those separate apps are just part of the GUI and the entire interface is designed around doing design work. I mean, how great would it be for the OS to automatically copy any externally linked file to /user/project_name/graphics automatically? Disk utilities would also scan for broken/missing/updated links in your documents ... the desktop would just BE photoshop ... *drool*

now i'm getting way ahead of myself.

In-design doesn't do anything for me, Im a quark boy but just wish theyd step out of 1980's with their upgrading scheduals...

Quark u have the monopoly, stop being lazy and carbonize it, don't worry about being net savvy.

I worked at Quark for five years, and I have to say they have completely lost touch with their users. Quark 5 does not have any groundbreaking features.

Tables. Come on. That has been available as an XTension forever.
XML. PLEASE. They just took their Avenue.Quark and threw it in.
PDF export. Oh what a new concept.
And let's not even start with the webdesign "features."
Etc.

I remember when I saw InDesign 1.0. I thought it had potential, but the 1.0 release was not the "Quark Killer." I told my friends to give it until a 3.0 release to find their audience and get the bugs worked out. So far I think I'm right on track. Give it 18 -24 months for the REAL Quark Killer to come out.

Back