XServe Alternatives?

niallerc

Registered
Hi All

Haven't posted on the forums in a while but here's a quick question:

I was going to purchase an XServe and XRaid to complement my current setup of G4300mhz Server running 10.2.4 server and infotrend 500gb RAID level 5.

Anyway my network/server cabinet is of a small stature and the xserve being rather deep it will not fit in, so my question being should I configure a G4 tower to do the job for me, ie extra network card, fibre channel card, scsi card (for mammoth backup), OSX server software they come in at around the same price but slower pci speed .

This was just my thinking any alternatives would certainly be appreciated as I do not associate well with steel saws to hack into my cabinet to fit the xserve.

BTW it'll be primarily used as a fileserver/network backup server and the old server will become near line.

Many thanks

Niall

You could always buy a larger cabinet, and move your current switch/router/etc to the new one, then sell the old one. Sure it's not as cheap, but you can get an xserve in there, and if you need to in future, an xserve raid.

Apple has a build-to-order option to add a rack mount to your Xserve order. The cheapest one is $149, but the next one is $1000, and I don't know how good they are.

If you decide to get a tower instead of an Xserve, you might consider using a 1.8 Ghz G5 instead of a G4, as it has a much faster PCI bus.

Thanks arden

The difference being that the G5 is $1100 more expensive than the G4 which puts the cost at close to 10,000 euro when I add everything in not sure if Ive budgeted that much, and to be honest I'd much rather get the G5s into the production/design environments than waste it on a server.

Back