XServe behind Microsoft ISA Server 2004?

obiwan

Registered
Dear Apple Fans,

We are due to install an XServe, running Tiger Server 10.4 to host our research project's website (amongst other things). - Being based in a university where Microsoft rules, and where the IT department are *PARANOID* about security (especially the threat of Macs on the network) - they insist that it be installed behind the Microsoft Proxy Server (ISA 2004) to protect unauthorised attacks from outside.

At the moment our (small) office of macs (3 to be precise) is connected onto this network behind the ISA Server, and despite the best efforts of the IT department and myself to try to configure it to work, I routinely can't do anything much more than browse HTTP web pages, and view webmail. FTP access still doesn't work after repeated efforts (even though PC's on the same network have no problems). They also have set up a VPN account for me, which relieves some of the problems (like accessing POP3 mail accounts etc.) but I still can't do stuff like using Remote Desktop to access my home machine etc..

My basic question is this: - Is it actually possible to configure the ISA Proxy Server so it is COMPLETELY compatible with the XServe, or am I right in thinking that it's one complete headache to get the two talking to each other nicely? - I'm hesitant about paying out for an XServe from the project budget, if the ISA Server is going to constantly throw up configuration problems that we can't resolve.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Thanks in advance!

You'll need to install a copy of the Squid proxy cache, and configure it use the ISA server as a parent server. If you install authoxy, you'll be able to authenticate via NTLM from the Xserve, making it completely transparent. You can get authoxy (it's free and open-source) here:

http://www.hrsoftworks.net/Products.html

Have fun!

sourcehound said:
You'll need to install a copy of the Squid proxy cache, and configure it use the ISA server as a parent server. If you install authoxy, you'll be able to authenticate via NTLM from the Xserve, making it completely transparent. You can get authoxy (it's free and open-source) here:

http://www.hrsoftworks.net/Products.html

Have fun!

Thanks for your reply. - I did wonder whether we would have to resort to other measures, like proxy tunnel software to get 'round' the system, rather than configuring it legitimately. (I'm assuming this is a work-around hack, rather than a legitimate method!) - I'm in a fortunate position as I've been told on good authority that if we get no joy with the IT department on this issue, we can go above their heads to get what we need. - It would greatly back-up my case if you could confirm whether the only way to get it to work, is with this hack. (A good hack though! - I'm assuming I can try it on my client machine, to get remote desktop working again!)

Many thanks!

Dear,

as you said "You'll need to install a copy of the Squid proxy cache, and configure it use the ISA server as a parent server" but in my case i want to use Squid as a parent server.

Please do let me know who i'm able to do this.

Waiting for your feedback

Back