XServe G4 Help

AlphaBravo

Registered
Hello :) Found this forum when searching google for my issue, so I thought I would register and ask for help!
I brought a xserve from ebay to use as a webserver and it will be colocated. My problem is that I cant work out how to remotely admin it over some kind of gui. I have a windows dedicated server and I use RDP to connect to it, what is the apple equivalent? I tried apple remote desktop but it wont install as the new version is not compatible with my version (10.2.8), and I couldnt find any vnc servers that would work.. I would also like it to start as a service(?) so that I can connect to it after a reboot like I can with my windows machine.

Any help will be appreciated :)

~Alpha

On the Mac OS X 10.2 Server CDs, you should see one marked "Admin Tools" or something similar. If you use this CD to install the tools on another Mac, you can remotely administer shares, users, groups, services and the like via a GUI.

Then you have two options:

1) VNC
2) Apple's Remote Desktop software

There are many spins on VNC, including the web-based "LogMeIn" and what-not.

What, precisely, do you need direct desktop control over for that the Admin Tools do not provide?

The Admin tools do give you "total" control over all the services and processes running on the server. You just aren't directly controlling the computer via the computer's desktop.

If you want VNC, then you can grab an older copy of the Vine Server here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/files/

Version 3.0 is for Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later, so you'll probably need to experiment with the 2.x versions to find one that is compatible with 10.2.8. After installing the correct VNC server, it's just a matter of using a standard VNC client to connect and control remotely.

Back