Xserve or no?

ah of course, dumb question. Do you (or anyone) know whats involved with getting the right right traffic to the right site?

Advertising, word-of-mouth, paid search engine placement... it's hard, but if you get the right results placement, you should start getting hits.

Also, join web rings, link exchange services, and get other sites to put your URL's on their sites as you put theirs on yours; then you mutually benefit each other. Symbiosis, I believe it's called.

no, no, i didnt mean actualyl driving traffic to the site...I mean setting up the server so that it knows that traffic going to "www.site1.com" goes to one directory, and "www.site2.com" goes to another directory, since they are both on the same machine.

Well, it works just like hosting a site off an external provider. You have to relay the domain name to the specific directory you want it to use on your hard drive. The hard part is actually getting traffic.

Build it and they will come, but code it and they may or may not click.

What kinds of services do you want to run on your webserver?

The reason I ask is that I think Apple computers are just too cool to waste on webservers unless you really need to do Mac OS X-specific things on the server. Even if you want to do iDisk-type stuff you can still make do with a cheap Linux box.

Linux is practically free, after all, although it requires some savvy to set up. I've built a bunch of NetBSD servers also and even written up complete documentation on the process if you'd like a copy.

That's why I suggest getting an older computer, as long as it can actually run OS X.

slur...i really have no expereince with linux/bsd. I only know the real basic unix stuff. I wouldn't mind takin a look at that documentation though.

I think the most intense things these sites will be doing is streaming video, so Quick Time Streaming Server was a consideration we had. Will older macs be able to handle that ok?

Back