Yahoo Messenger 3.0!!!!!!!!

mi5moav

Registered
Yes, it isn't quite Apple related but this is probably more amazing then Apple releasing an iphone or Apple switching to Intel.

...I would be much more surprised if AOL released a version of AIM that actually *freaking* incorporated PC-Mac/Mac-PC voice/video chat. I've been waiting for what seems like 3 years for this feature. (Come to think of it, it has been 3 years...)

Qion said:
...I would be much more surprised if AOL released a version of AIM that actually *freaking* incorporated PC-Mac/Mac-PC voice/video chat. I've been waiting for what seems like 3 years for this feature. (Come to think of it, it has been 3 years...)
Just use iChat, it does the same thing.

Yeah, but if I can only _theoretically_ talk to peers, it's kinda useless, isnt' it. ;) ... Video-chats should work between newer AIM versions and iChat. Audio chats don't, however, which is a pity.

I don't use Yahoo, but it does look pretty nice, as far as the interface and the feel of the app goes.

Now only if MS would make a version of Live messenger like this for Mac.

Been using it for a few days, overall it is vastly improved over the prior version. Feels like a Mac app!

The new version does not have the "Sign in/Change user" option under File - that sucks! I am sticking with version 2.5.3

According Activity Monitor between 50 and 70% of my Powerbook G4! Is this version made for Dual Core?

The old version just between less than 1% and 3% or so... I am backl on the old version!

I have the PPC version, and have not experienced that problem, g/re/p. I think the app is universal anyways.

You meant MarkThai's problem I guess? :) Either way: It should definitely _not_ use that much CPU. Maybe if you try on a test user account with clean preference files for Yahoo Messenger 3, it looks differently? Would be something to try at least.

Annoyingly, the webcam windows can't be expanded to full-screen (or even large) seemingly. And I can't seem to manage to undock my video feed from the contact list (meaning either my contact list window has to be enormous or my contacts get covered up by a video feed).

But it's a hideous lot better than the previous one which had been only barely Carbonised, let alone being a good OS X citizen

I zapped the program and re-installed.
Lo and behold, it started out all well, with just aroun 6% CPU use when using hte messenger.

Found the culprit, however: when using the 'display image" feature, so showing a picture, the CPU usage immediately is up to 60% again!

No way to delete the picture, either.

So, zapped YIM again, and now will use it, but NOT the dispaly image feature.

Back