Yahoo Messenger Installed Without Admin Password

jerkstore2000

Registered
Hello,

I was able to install Yahoo Messenger (2.5.3) without entering my admin password. When it asked for my password, I pressed cancel and then the following popup appeared:

"The software to be installed requires Administrator or higher level access privileges."

I then pressed continue and proceeded to install into the applications folder.

This cannot be normal, right? I thought the whole point of having the password dialog was to prevent stuff from installing.

I am running 10.4.2

Thanks,
Jasper

The install will not have been complete. The installer will have failed to install some files that require administrator access, or possibly it will not have been able to change a setting which requires an admin password (such as opening a port on the firewall to allow Yahoo Messanger to work).

That said, it sounds like Yahoo need to fix up their installer, though, so it won't do this.

It installed to the point where the program functions normally. I'm not sure if Yahoo is to be blame; seems like the OS shouldn't have allowed the install to continue without a password, unless I am misinformed about how it works.

I'll have to follow up with Apple. Thanks for the response

I can't even get the installer to run. it downloads as a binary - do I need to convert it to a dmg? or, just add x (make it executable?)

You'll need StuffIt Expander to "unbinary" the .bin file. You can get it here: http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download3.html ...

About the first' poster's question: It probably would've installed something in the system's Library folder, and now that's missing. The question is whether the app actually needs anything from there. Probably, it doesn't, hence it still runs fine.

But I don't think it actually installed something with root-privileges without actually getting the admin password. _That'd_ be a problem.

jerkstore2000 said:
Hello,

I was able to install Yahoo Messenger (2.5.3) without entering my admin password. When it asked for my password, I pressed cancel and then the following popup appeared:

I..er.. installed Yahoo Messenger and was surprised that the request for the Admin password had a Yahoo logo in it. I went ahead anyway, and when I went to change my Admin password I found I could not change it.
I am pretty ignorant regarding this issue. Is this a known issue?

Robert

Back