Yahoo! Messenger Video slow? 1fps? how?

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
For a while I use iChatAV but few of mine friends have winXP with aim 5.5 didn't work well and kept reject due to no respond. We couldn't figure it out why. So we decided to switch to Yahoo! Messenger Video to test it. It surpised me that work fine but extremely slow. It's getting 1fps to 3fps. How do I make it more frames to 25fps? They told me that Yahoo! Messenger work well with pc and said it fast and smoother but not on Mac? Why it make it slow. Some of my friend have WinXP with AIM 5.5 work fine with iChatav not all.. Why? Something I need to know that I can tell my friends to update DirectX? XP? what?

this is normal. I have the guess that it's not a peer to peer connection but going over yahoo servers. The filetransfer let me guess so. You have to send it to the server first and then it will be delivered to the buddy.
Nothing you can do about it. Even in those days when I was using pc, yahoo was most compatible but also slowest in video.
However, wanted to let you know I have the same thing here and I kinda got used to it.

Yup. That would be my first guess as well. Check out search (ichatav & nat). Bob once posted an instruction how to make your router ichatav friendly.

Ok, but why is it that PC's get acceptable framerate then?
Slow is something, 1-2 fps is ridicolous!

they do? I was using yahoo pc2pc as well and it was as slow. Maybe they updated the pc version and forgot about the mac one?!

Yahoo!'s frame-rates were always low, in fact I can't recall ever seeing over 2fps unless there was only one other person viewing and both parties had broadband connections. Then you could run in their 'super' mode and get 5 to 10 fps...maybe. Every other time it would be 1.2 to 1.6 for a small window, and .7 to 1.1 for a large window.

I haven't tried their latest version yet on the PC, but I don't see a huge gain being had. The idea behind web-cams in Yahoo! chat wasn't necessarily to be used as Video chat as much as it was a way for you to vaguely see who you were typing or talking to.

Back