Yay ATI!

thedbp

Frantic Messenger of Hope
So I've been looking at these new ATI Radeon 7000 and 8500 cards ... about 2 weeks ago, I started seriously looking for a replacement video card for my B&W. I was stuck with getting a PCI card cuz I decided to buy my computer in '99, but I'm not much of a gamer so I'm not too concerned with AGP.

A 32MB Radeon PCI was $300 – ridiculous, and well out of my price rage. Similar PC cards were around $100 – $150. Even the PC Radeon. So I pretty much resigned myself to the fact that as a Mac user, ATI really wanted to screw me. Then I see the press release about the two new cards.

A 32MB dual display card for $130?!?! At that price I'll buy two, one for the 8600 too. So the store went down, then came back up with the old Radeons down to $180 – still more expensive than the new 32MB cards, but a lot cheaper than $300. Now the web store (after 2 days) is down again. I can't wait ... I'm ordering these things ASAP Monday morning if the store is up.

No constructive thoughts, sorry. Just absolutely jaw-dropping good news for someone who didn't feel like paying AGP prices for PCI performance.

Are any other non-AGP Mac owners as excited about these cheap and insanely great cards as I am?

Sweet :)

Yay, one of these could be really cool on my 8600, then I could run dual monitor in OS X... :D

Back