Yay me! Norton Utilities for free!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
I'd just like to put in a plug for me. I rock!

I "participated" in the Norton Utilities 7.0 beta test, and today they sent me an e-mail that I would receive a free copy of Norton Utilities 7.0!

Yay me! :D ;) :p :)

I say "participated" in quotes, because I really didn't let it do any repairs to my hard drive, I just let it scan. I found one bug that was reporting a phantom volume when I would choose a volume to repair, and maybe that's why they picked me.

Yay me! ;)

Here's to hoping that I also get a free copy of Norton AntiVirus 8.0 (I also "participated" in the beta test). That'd be so hilarious. :D

congrats :)

Then again, I am not perfectly sure if I would want NU...even for free... :D

but well, once you got it you hopefully tell us if it is better than past versions of NU!

Will never use Norton again. The only fatal crash I've ever had was caused by Norton Utilities.

It has scarred me for life!

I agree with the virus - getting Nu for free is like riding a roller coaster with a knife being pressed to your abdomen for free. not sure i would really want it. But then Simone, you are the adventurous one among us;)

I've never had any bad problems with Norton Utilities. Then again, I've never really had any problems with TechTool (except that the optimization is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG slow!!) or DiskWarrior, either. Come to think of it, I never really use disk repair utilities that much, anyway, for my PERSONAL comp, that is. :p

For my work, Norton Utilities has been the first tool I use, so no, it's not like Ed's analogy (but thanks for the propaganda, Ed :D ).

I dunno, NU has always scared the crap outta me to use, but it hasn't blow up yet ;)

Yay for simX, now lets hope they fixed your bug :)

From what I remember of SpeedDisk...

We had a Mac lab with about 30 various Macs (mostly Classics) connected to an AppleShare server. The server had a large HD (160MB, IIRC). One Saturday, when things were particularly slow, I decided to optimize the server HD. I was normally scheduled from Noon to 5:00 on Saturdays, but that day I stayed until almost 7:00. It took that long to optimize the huge HD. ;) I am not sure of any performance gain. The server was not used heavily -- basically it acted as a router for the various printers.

And I don't know about the Mac HDs, but a fragmented Windows HD will slow the system significantly. I usually defrag my HD at work once a week, and each time I notice a large speed gain -- certainly orders of magnitude greater than microseconds... :)

Bought it. Downloaded it. Spent half a day recovering from Kernal crashes that it caused. I finally noticed the word symantec in the kernel code (or whatever that gibberish is), uninstalled NU and all is good again.

NU has always been Mac-unfriendly (can you say Control Panel/Extension conflicts?) and continues to be a piece of junk.

Diskwarrior and Tech Tool for me.

My goal is not to piss in your cornflakes, I think it's great that you got it, just beware.

Back