YES! PROJECT BUILDER 2.0!!! (beta)

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
FINALLY THOSE DORKS AT APPLE RELEASE PROJECT BUILDER 2.0!!!

It's in beta form, but it's available to all developer connection members (even if you're just a student developer who paid nothing to become a developer). But it's all part of the April 2002 dev tools, which has the newest version of gcc (which supposedly gives a great speed boost to apps when recompiled with this version).

Yay! Arg, though... it's 231.4 megs and downloading at 13K/sec.

Well maybe I'll be able to continue developing MUG again...

(This thread should only be moved to the Programming forum after a few days, because it's hot news! :) )

I downloaded this a few hours ago and installed it. There's some new GUI options, but I still can't figure it out :rolleyes:

I wish they'd make it have a little more realbasic-ish GUI mode for people like me :D

I'll take any speed increase I can get and supposedly there are a lot of other improvements too. I am downloading them now at decent speed (230k/s). Has anyone noticed any major problems? I have a final project due on Thursday in my intro to C++ class and it don't want to make a big mistake by installing it.

Koelling: If your project hinges on whether this beta works or not, I would tell you not to install it. I'll tell you what I think of it, though.

is this gcc 3.0 or 3.1? 3.1 is not officially released yet, but it is overdue, coming any day now, and apple could have taken what they wanted from cvs...

i read on the darwin FAQ on apples website that they were actively working on merging apples altivec and darwin specific additions to gcc back into the main gcc tree, but that it was a slow process and would take a long time. the FAQ hasn t been updated in almost a year i think, so i wonder how that is going?

i know for example, that gcc 2.95 has no altivec optimisations, but that motorola did release some patches to gcc. that is, for example, what yellowdog uses. are these also the patches that apple uses? it seems that they have also made darwin specific changes.

It's GCC 3.1 i'm pretty sure. I'm not going to install it for a while more, because I have some CVS related projects that people are still using the old version still. Maybe later...

How's the performance simX?

The documentation says that gcc 3.1 is included as a beta, but you have to "tell" PB to use it. The default is still gcc 2.6 (?, still stuck at work, so I can't check the version number).

I'm glad to read the comments here. As much as I like to try the latest and greatest, somehow a beta of gcc doesn't make me feel too safe. What I like about packages like this from Apple is that I know (hope) that dependencies and/or compatibilities would be taken care of beforehand. I think I will wait until it's officially released.

stepwise.com has more information about the new dev tools. http://www.stepwise.com ...

It's definitely a late 3.1 beta of GCC, but it's right that Project Builder doesn't use it per default yet. There's also uninstall options and the ReadMe PDF tells you how to go back to the Dec 2001 Dev Tools if something goes wrong. Alas, if I had a dev project running that would end soon, I'd wait with the update...

Well I installed them. They seem fine to me :). I'm not experiencing any problems... but this isn't a mission-critical app for me.

And also I'm beta-man. I try way to much beta software, its suprising it hasn't caught up with me yet. :p

Back