Yet another PowerBook thread

cfleck

tired
so i know that there are a lot of us folk out there waiting on the 15" updates, but it occured to me the other day that if apple keeps their 6-7 month update cycle, that the 12" and 17" are going to be due pretty soon as well.

given they didnt ship till late, (17s especially), but i gotta believe that it wont be long till they all get their update.

anybody think i'm crazy or correct?

quite crazy for me too...

well, 12" should be really upgraded soon because is not really good for that price...

It's very good for that price. But then again: A 1 GHz processor should be feasible in that 'book, too, now that the iBooks are at 900 MHz.

arent the g4's a bit tougher to clock at higher than the g3 though? in mobility uses the g3 might be able to go to higher clock speeds... :confused:

i say rubbish. they aren't so much tougher to clock as they just dont want to step on the toes of the powermacs.

That's not the reason. Apple rather sells you a PowerBook than a PowerMac. Why? Money for one reason. Maybe the only one. But if you put a 1.25 or 1.43 GHz PowerPC 7455 into a PowerBook, it'll melt your legs instead of your heart. The G3 processors run cooler at the same clock speeds and, yes, can be clocked higher more easily. Or at least IBM can clock them at higher speeds more easily.

i have a hard time believing that they have the know how to pack a g4 (albeit running slower) into a 12" package, but couldnt put a 1.25 into a 17" though.

i'm sure heat has something to do with it, but i also think they could find a way around it. buncha thinkers they are.

So Apple released the first 17" laptop ... now how about the first dual processor laptop! Take it to the park, do a little work, listen to a little music, cook some hot dogs :)

Hopefully with the PowerPC 970 (G5?) chips, that will be possible. Aren't they supposed to run way cooler than the G4s? Wouldn't it be nice to be working on a couple Photoshop files while you're editing video.... in the park?

man if there were 1.6ghz 15 inchers that would drive me wild! i would work really hard to have enough money to get my hands on one as long as it doesnt burn my leg's off... that could make it hard to use. but that would own, i could take it up to my cabin and hike with it or something - just me and my apple
:)

just outa curiosity, what kinda heat does a g4/970 put out compared to the pentium chips they put in laptops?

Originally posted by cf25
i have a hard time believing that they have the know how to pack a g4 (albeit running slower) into a 12" package, but couldnt put a 1.25 into a 17" though.

i'm sure heat has something to do with it, but i also think they could find a way around it. buncha thinkers they are.
None of you will believe me when I say a guy in one of my classes just got a 12" TinBook with the 1ghz processor, actually got it weeks ago. He claims he just asked them and they put it in for him. The sucker gets real hot and I didn't ask if he was allowed to get AppleCare (since that seems to be a voided warentee already). It can be done but notwithout some serious heat so it wouldn't be done for regular consumers without changes to the processor.

Well, I'm sure Apple will be able to use faster processors, but they're not going to be the exact same processors used in the towers. Too much heat, too much power consumption.

If Motorola can deliver 1.0 and 1.25 GHz parts of the PowerPC 7457 (released recently at up to 1.33 GHz), those could be used in PowerBooks. But those will actually be _faster_ at those clock speeds than the 7455 used in the current PowerMacs.

Three weeks now? :)

I only care about 1GHz in the base system and some new things inside... a PowerBook is not for games (well, not for me!) ;)

I hope that one day Apple will allow us to have higer resolution on screen... just to use it only if we need it a few time... I know it wuold be too small to be perfect...

Now I'm just waiting and I will see... if it is a good option I will get a new 15"... a little iBook is still an option to save a lot of money...

Back