Yet Another "Which Mac Should I Get" Thread

monktus

Registered
Apologies for the lame thread but here goes. I've been looking to replace my (heavily upgraded) PowerMac G4 for a while now, espcially since I've just started a new company and I could do with a sperate machine for work (web/print design, music production). Anyway, I spotted a "Buy Now Pay in 12 Months" offer in PC World, and a 1.8GHz Dual G5 for £900. I used to work at PC World doing finance agreements so I know that they're usually quite a good deal as long as you make sure you pay when you're supposed to.

So my question is, should I go for the 1.8 or a 2.0GHz? I know there's only a little difference in processor speed and the price gap is £450 but I'm wondering if it's worth it for the better video card (two DVIs), double the HDD space, more RAM (although I'll put more in anyway), bus speed and faster SuperDrive. I know the 2.0Ghz futureproofs me _slightly_ more and I don't have to go and get an ADC adaptor, but is it worth the 450 squid?

Probably not I'd say, but I think I might go get a machine tomorrow and I'd appreciate some opinions.
 

Convert

Tech
To be honest, that does seem quite appealing, it's got nicer features (and feature potentials, the limits on what you can customise are different for both models, no?), and is more future proof.

It'd be a great reward for sticking with a PM G4 until now, so why not go that little bit further?

Oh, and don't be silly, there's nothing bad about this thread.
 

monktus

Registered
The thing is that the 1.8 is a really good deal whereas the 2.0 is just normal retail. Actually I'll need to check that as they're dropping the PowerMacs from their consumer range so I'm not sure if the 2.0 is the usual price or not. Hmm.
 

Convert

Tech
monktus said:
The thing is that the 1.8 is a really good deal whereas the 2.0 is just normal retail. Actually I'll need to check that as they're dropping the PowerMacs from their consumer range so I'm not sure if the 2.0 is the usual price or not. Hmm.
Well, personally, if it were me in this position, during the 12 months I would be saying "I should have gone for the 2.0... it would make a a small dent on my finances... but I am paying later", a kind of delusion. At the end of the day I am still paying the same amount of money, but later, and I won't feel so guilty about going for the better option, because by the time I have paid it off completely, I will have a lot more money than at the start of the 12 months. It's a weird concept, I know.

So, are both models eligible for the 12 month pay-later offer?
 

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
i have the dual 1.8.

i feel hampered by the fact that it is crippled by it only having 2 ram slots, etc. very good machine though, but if i could afford it, i'd go for the full fat one. you would feel better
 

monktus

Registered
I'm going to check the price on the 2.0Ghz today when I go in, might go for that if I can; I'm not totally sure I can get it on the same finance deal. 2 RAM slots on the 1.8 isn't great but it would do I suppose. Can you run two (non-mirrorred) monitors off the 64mb GeForce on the 1.8?
 

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
i'm not sure, i have the radeon. it is only ADC+DVI, so an ADC-DVI connector would be needed. the two ram slots also mean that the system is limited to 4096mb ram (regardless of bigger dimms coming out), instead of the 8GB in the uncrippled models. i'm pretty sure i could run extendened desktop over two ACDs with the connector
 

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
Unless you needed it right now, I'd wait a year and see what the Mactels will offer. Get a mini if you need something new right now.
 
Top