Yikes! Save me! Quicktime dilema!

insaneinu

Registered
Alrighty, I'll introduce my situation: Me, as Mac-Deficient as I am, which is a sad thing for me to say, as a graphic artist, crashed my 'puter.

I'm running OS 9.2.2 on an older ibook that I got for free. I've been using it to kind of sort out everything - I had palm software installed on it, and it's kind of become my little black, or rather azure, book. I valued it for that organizing software, since I don't have the cash to fork out to get upgrades.

It doesn't have a web connection - I'll repeat that. No web connection.

I believe I've gone and thought I was using a Windows again, I was organizing program files, and I near about killed the darn thing, because I -think- I've misplaced something. Here are my "symptoms":

-My background is totally white, won't change, graphics on most programs won't load.
-Says the problem is quicktime is not installed. Which it is - but I think I may have misplaced it.
-No response from Quicktime programs. Says it isn't installed. Liar.
-However, icons, and a few graphics, for example a solitare game is working perfectly. No problems with them.
-Help files won't load - says that it can't find "CarbonLib"

I do still have all the major programs and files on the computer, and if need be, I can burn a disk to install anything I need on it. Just help! I can't work ANYTHING except Solitare!

BTW: Just so I don't screw it up again, what's the proper protocol for UN-installing programs on OS 9?

It sounds like you may have moved/removed/renamed your "Extensions" or "Control Panels" folder in the Finder. They both need to be named exactly that, and they need to reside inside the "System Folder" folder.

To uninstall an OS 9 program, simply drag the program to the trash, and also remove any control panels or extensions (or, better yet, simply deactivate them with the Extensions Manager) that were installed by the program.

Back