Yosmite Bash Shell Requires Sudo To Modify Directory Structure

j831526

Registered
This may have started after upgrading from Maverick to Yosemite or after a Yosemite upgrade. I'm not sure which. I'm on 10.10.3 and frequently work within a BASH shell. When working with code I sometimes need to add, move, or remove directories. My user account has administrator privileges - same as with Mavericks. I'm working in directories within and below my home directory - NOT system directories.

I used to be able to mkdir, mv, cp, rm -r etc. WITHOUT using SUDO. Now I have to always use SUDO. This is UNLIKE all previous OS X versions, any Linux versions, and any Unix versions I've used before. It's REALLY annoying:(

Any suggest? - Thanx - Charlie

BTW: I tried posting in Apple discussion forums, but their website is completely screwed up when using Safari of all things!

This may have started after upgrading from Maverick to Yosemite or after a Yosemite upgrade. I'm not sure which. I'm on 10.10.3 and frequently work within a BASH shell. When working with code I sometimes need to add, move, or remove directories. My user account has administrator privileges - same as with Mavericks. I'm working in directories within and below my home directory - NOT system directories.

I used to be able to mkdir, mv, cp, rm -r etc. WITHOUT using SUDO. Now I have to always use SUDO. This is UNLIKE all previous OS X versions, any Linux versions, and any Unix versions I've used before. It's REALLY annoying:(

Any suggest? - Thanx - Charlie

BTW: I tried posting in Apple discussion forums, but their website is completely screwed up when using Safari of all things!

Ok, I now see what's going on. The same problems also appear with Finder; I'm forced to "authenticate" all directory manipulations but ONLY on the base or root volume (my iMac hard drive). When I switch to an external volume, everything works as before. I suppose Apple will call this an intentional security update or some similar bull crap. I still can't post to Apple support forums because Safari INSISTS I must want to use my email address as my userid even though Apple doesn't allow it (hello left hand - hello right hand). Anyway, if you run into the SUDO problem, find a cheap external drive for your coding work, and make sure the Time Machine will back it up.

Charlie

Nobody seems to be reading this thread, but JIC, this wasn't Apple's fault. Somehow while setting up my Go environment, my Go directory ownership was Root. I don't know how this happened, but it was likely a finger check on my part:(

Charlie the Embarrassed

Nobody seems to be reading this thread, but JIC, this wasn't Apple's fault. Somehow while setting up my Go environment, my Go directory ownership was Root. I don't know how this happened, but it was likely a finger check on my part:(
OP - notice that your thread has had well over 100 views, just no responses.
Good to hear that you found out what caused your issue.

Back