You call *that* a crash? *THIS* is a crash!

LordCoven

Registered
I just had a pretty mad experience. Woke up my iBook from sleep. Connected it to the NW. Tried to connect to an SMB share (which I'd done previously that day successfully, and have been doing for ages with no probs) and all of a sudden the kernel goes ape! Got all these black lines drawn right over Aqua and something about a kernel trap. Totally hung everything. Said it was waiting for a remote debug connection.

Now *THAT'S* what I call a crash! ;-)

Still, its the first time that every happened and I did have this REALLY huge sound file open in Sound Studio (which isn't normally the case) ... so hopefully it was just a one off. Still, I was a bit miffed that it happened at all! ;-)

C

I've had those panics too, more than once... :(
I know i't good to send them to Apple, but 80 of the screen is filled with crap like "KM3438320930##" (or something, not exactly). Do i have to write down and send áll that? Or just a specific piece...?

... I do believe that what I experienced is not a kernel panic. Mainly due to the fact that I believe a kernel panic actually tells you that it is a kernel panic. This was an unhandled exception thrown in the smb nw module. Just a crash, hence.
Spectacular none the less, tho ;-)

C

Whenever the black terminal text comes spraying across the screen. It's a kernel panic. You can definitely tell when you try holding down force quit :)

Originally posted by NielZ
I've had those panics too, more than once... :(
I know i't good to send them to Apple, but 80 of the screen is filled with crap like "KM3438320930##" (or something, not exactly). Do i have to write down and send áll that? Or just a specific piece...?

Tell Apple what you were doing when the error occurred. Then tell them the last few lines. Don't forget to include some basic information about your system. i.e. Model, processor speed, RAM, HD, and all third party equipment, including things like "Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer Optical" if it was attached when the error occurred.

last ime (once) when i got a kermnel panic i typed: restart
and it restarted the computer... funny

Yeah, it does that. You can tell it to restart or try to continue -- sometimes though, it doesn't give you those options. It depends on how serious the kernel panic was and if it could shut down and contain the panic, to put it in a way that is easily understandable (even I don't really get it).

I just took standard photos of my error screens, which could then be scanned (under os9). when i read them to Apple, they said "flash your boot rom" and things should work. i did, but that didn't help. I still occassionally had tremendous crashes where the screen filled up with code then said "we are crashing here" or somesuch.

so when i was given a copy of X.1 for Xmas, I went ahead and zapped my previous X + X.1 updater. this time i wiped the volume clean before installing. knock on wood, things are going ok. now if bryce wouldn't crash when it reaches 100% completion...

js

Back