You gotta be kidding

Whats wrong with you, first off how stuiped are your graphics guys, they can't install a printer? they are using programs that can render in 3D, i look at those programs with a blank stare so i have to say i am little suprised they can't use a printer, also MacOSX is alot better then the older the older OS and if you were a good network guy your users wouldn't really have a hard time switching over, i mean all they really need are a few apps which you can stick in the dock for them, as for all the unix stuff they won't see it unless you want them too, and the cube is supposed to look like that, if you were a real tech guy you would know the insides of a computer don't really take up all that much space, so with a good heatsink which the cube has you could take out most of the free space

I think most users will acclimate to the differences in UI if it relieves them from the bomb.

In your argument, you are mixing the concepts of what a novice user and an advance user would do. In Mac OS9, does a novice user munge resources to customize finder? Does an advanced user. Does not munging resources prevent the novice user from getting their work done? I think the answer is no.

Under OSX, the novice user is going to use IE Explorer, Word, Excel and Quicken. In general, the applications that they used under Mac OS 9. They are not going to experience much difference.

However, under OSX, I can setup a world class internet server. Do you know that the worlds busiest ftp server is run under FreeBSD? ftp.cdrom.com. Your operating system is going to have the internal power if you want it. But, we don't have to tell mom.

Michael

Hello,

This has been an intersting thread :-> If you haven't watched the "Steve-note", please do. He demonstrates some of the changes in X. I noticed several Classic-isms have returned.

The Apple menu is back. It contains the old "Special" menu contents and aliases to recent stuff.

The menu bar clock is back.

Popup folders in the form of menus spawned by items in the dock.

Location manager - Thank Heaven.

Rumor says the control strip will return.

Desktop hard-drive icons are a real option.

Steve grudgingly showed that Classic like Finder windows are an option.

Of course there are many X specific improvements too numerous to detail.

If I missed any - sorry.

Apple did listen and included many old UI elements to help the end-users who cannot cope with change. Those users do exist :-(

Jove

I remember a similar change in the PC world about 6 years ago.... Anyone in the PC field interested in going back to Windows 3.11???

The Mac OS just hasn't changed since it was presented back in the day, it's in serious need of a revamp. Give the Mac world a few months, a year at most and all will hail it as the best thing that ever happened to the Mac.

Back